Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Connections between Game of Thrones and Everquest (/forums/showthread.php?t=285287)

Lhancelot 11-19-2017 01:06 PM

Connections between Game of Thrones and Everquest

I keep running across things in Norrath that remind me of Game of Thrones, I realize some of it probably is coincidence, but is it?

https://i.imgur.com/vzFjrsZ.png

https://i.imgur.com/IITu2Sx.png

Did Everquest inspire some of the GoT producers? Perhaps some of them played EQ?

Mythanor 11-19-2017 01:35 PM

Not to point out the obvious... but GoT was a book before a TV show, so if EQ inspired anyone, it would be GRRM , not a bunch of *producers*.

Triiz 11-19-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythanor (Post 2611757)
Not to point out the obvious... but GoT was a book before a TV show, so if EQ inspired anyone, it would be GRRM , not a bunch of *producers*.

The books were out before EQ was released says the internet.

Lhancelot 11-19-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythanor (Post 2611757)

Well I don't know the history of the TV show etc., never read any GoT books sorry to be ignorant of that fact. I only know the show from TV. :p

MiRo2 11-19-2017 01:54 PM

The first two books were published before EQ launched.

paulgiamatti 11-19-2017 01:58 PM

Tons of ASOIAF-inspired content in EQ, news at 11.

Lhancelot 11-19-2017 02:10 PM

How old are the books then? I should check them out wonder if they decent to read, I had no idea they were written so long ago. :o

loramin 11-19-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhancelot (Post 2611770)
How old are the books then? I should check them out wonder if they decent to read, I had no idea they were written so long ago. :o

If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about for two books (if then).

Personally when it comes to book vs. TV/movie I almost always prefer the book. However in those two cases (even though I read all of LotR) I'm glad we have an alternative to the original authors' prose ... and not just because it's cool to see dragons on-screen ;)

On a complete tangent, when are we going to get a Dragonlance TV show/movie trilogy? The animated one they made was pretty cool, but a proper LotR/GoT live-action version would be epic.

Lhancelot 11-19-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2611774)
If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about for two books (if then).

Personally when it comes to book vs. TV/movie I almost always prefer the book. However in those two cases (even though I read all of LotR) I'm glad we have an alternative to the original authors' prose ... and not just because it's cool to see dragons on-screen ;)

On a complete tangent, when are we going to get a Dragonlance TV show/movie trilogy? The animated one they made was pretty cool, but a proper LotR/GoT live-action version would be epic.

I tried to read Tolkien stuff when I was younger and never got through any of his books I tried to read. I just vaguely recall it moving at a very slow pace and I didn't find it interesting. I probably should try reading some of Tolkien's books now, maybe I'd be able to appreciate them more. I think I was spoiled by reading R.A. Salvatore's D&D books when I tried to read LOTR. it was around that time iirc.

Muggens 11-19-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2611774)
If you like Tolkien, go for it. If you (like me) can't stand the way Tolkien spends pages and pages describing how pretty the trees and mountains are then you'll probably dislike GRRM. He does the same exact thing, only instead of spending pages on trees he spends them on the long family lineages of people you won't even care about.

I thought he spent pages detailing flacid penises?