Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   TAK project. (/forums/showthread.php?t=293512)

mastersapper 03-15-2018 10:22 PM

TAK project.

I was looking at Al'kabor server and saw that theyre using the original client. Saw some videos with all the classic goodness of spells and ui etc.

Has anyone played on this server that can give their thoughts on it vs p99?

Going to probably try to try it out soon, but curious of others experiences.

Ravager 03-15-2018 10:26 PM

I'd probably play there if there wasn't boxing.

Baler 03-15-2018 11:11 PM

I've tried it. my first impressions were not bad but also not good. The starter zone I was in had about 1/20th the number of mobs that p99 starter zones have. Not sure if this has been changed or not but it was a huge pain to find mobs to xp off. Second the 'classic limitations' like no mouse camera among other things was a turn off for me. Titanium client offers a lot of Quality of life features and it's a big factor in why I still play p99.

The staff over there seem up to snuff, a lot of vets from the eq emu forums. I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I'd play takp over p2002 any day.

paulgiamatti 03-16-2018 12:45 AM

It's funny because the TAKP client is exactly what P99 would love to have for their servers, yet it's being used on a server that's tainted with blasphemies such as multiboxing and post-Velious expansions.

Humans and erudites are hopelessly blind and light sources hardly do anything. Nameplates have that classic pixelated look. Targeting is a nightmare, exactly like it was during that era - you can only toggle between two targets max, and it seems to break the "target nearest" function once you've toggled between targets, forcing you to use the mouse cursor to acquire a new target in many situations. No auto-exiting corpses - you have to click "Done" or X out of the loot window for every single mob. No auto-linking loot from corpses. Once you get too far away from a mob for it to stop animating, it no longer draws on the screen. There's also some weird character model polygonal distortion going on when models gain some distance from the camera. Loading times are a fraction of what they are in the Titanium client.

Not as complete as P99 content-wise, obviously, but I'm sure there's ongoing development. Didn't have any problems finding mobs at all, but I've only leveled a couple characters to 10 so far. I agree with Baler in that the Titanium client allows for a less frustrating gameplay experience, and I appreciate having late-aughts graphical features like pixel & vertex shaders and advanced lighting, as well as a bunch of other UI controls that were introduced with Titanium.

Secrets 03-16-2018 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulgiamatti (Post 2675369)
Humans and erudites are hopelessly blind and light sources hardly do anything.

Some areas are even more night-blind for humans/erudites/barbs on Trilogy/DX7 clients, which TAKProject may support someday when they go open source again.

I'd love to see TAKProject have more people checking it out, though. It's sort of my baby, as I helped mangle the netcode together that they used initially (and then later they perfected.)

They have some really smart people working on the project.

Haynar helps them out with his incredible reverse engineering / coding work.
Torven basically figured out the AC/Melee damage formula before Daybreak even posted pseudocode of the formula, which confirmed his work on recreating it. I'd go as far as to say the code is more era-accurate than P99 is for classic mechanics.
Robregen/cavedude were the main guys behind PEQ past 2007 or so, and they're responsible for fostering the community that made the de-facto database for EQEmu servers.
Speedz brought the chickens in the form of web development work - the account management tools that he's brought automate tasks that GMs would normally do on Al'Kabor - account to account transfers between your own accounts, login recovery, etc.

They have some other folks working on stuff there, but I don't know if they want their identity known so I didn't mention them.

It's possibly the greatest preservation project of a server that no longer exists. Definitely check it out.

Bruno 03-16-2018 03:53 AM

Do they have plans to do future selective name changes? Possibly looking to get my eq fix in again elsewhere. Got bored of TLP a while ago.

Shrubwise 03-16-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baler (Post 2675331)
Second the 'classic limitations' like no mouse camera among other things was a turn off for me. Titanium client offers a lot of Quality of life features and it's a big factor in why I still play p99.

Well said. I had the same turn-offs. Titanium client or bust.

If it wasn't limited by the client, I'd probably play there too. Unlike many other P99'ers, I am in favor of boxing and it wouldn't be a turn off for me.

fadetree 03-16-2018 08:26 AM

I've been playing there for quite a while now, and I like it a great deal. It is very playable. Extremely friendly atmosphere, gear is very cheap comparatively. Really good devs. Luclin is coming soon (Summer-ish). It is kind of low pop, but personally I don't mind that too much as its kind of nice to stroll into most places and find camps. You can box, but you don't have to. Without boxing the early game is sort of empty. The boxing is strictly limited to 3, and there's a large exp bonus if your group has at least a 4th player. Client is older than P99 and limited in some ways (mouse wheel scroll in/out and mouse pan) but that's actually accurate for the period, which I appreciate.
I expect a lot of folks to show up when luclin drops.

fadetree 03-16-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrubwise (Post 2675434)
Well said. I had the same turn-offs. Titanium client or bust.

If it wasn't limited by the client, I'd probably play there too. Unlike many other P99'ers, I am in favor of boxing and it wouldn't be a turn off for me.

Well, ok, look you guys make a big deal about the TAKP client, and you're all quick to yell 'not classic!' about proposed changes here, yet you happily use a client that is totally out of era. The client extras are not just conveniences, they are critical game features and are very powerful in what they let you do, which is why you don't want to lose them. But it is, in fact, out of era.

Baler 03-16-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadetree (Post 2675442)
Well, ok, look you guys make a big deal about the TAKP client, and you're all quick to yell 'not classic!' about proposed changes here, yet you happily use a client that is totally out of era. The client extras are not just conveniences, they are critical game features and are very powerful in what they let you do, which is why you don't want to lose them. But it is, in fact, out of era.

Part of why people yell not classic here is because it's an excuse for everything and a p99 meme. Something like Pras is to red if you will. A sizeable percentage of people who play p99 do so thanks to the accessibility of the titanium client and it's qol features. Otherwise believe me haynar as one example would love to implement these era accurate classic changes.

I may give it another try when luclin hits. Not that I'd ever leave p99. But I'm for having a high quality option for luclin/pop in the emu scene. I'm curious what p99's next server will be. I think rogean owns the takp site.