Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Actual workaround for crashing when swapping toons!!! (/forums/showthread.php?t=414147)

BarackObooma 01-25-2023 02:49 AM

Actual workaround for crashing when swapping toons!!!

The bug that makes you crash when you log out to swap characters has driven me mad over the last year! I haven't seen anything from the dev's about trying to fix it either.

Someone shared this the other day and it works!

1. While in game and sitting type /camp desktop
2. Minimize the P99 screen
3. Open a new client and get to server select
4. Once the old client closes, even if the error message pops up you can immediately enter.

This has worked every time so far!

Encroaching Death 01-25-2023 07:38 AM

Anytime I ground transfer 100k worth of gear, I start to sweat because I know I'm gonna crash eventually.

I'm going to end up losing a Fungi or something, but I still do it.

Maybe it's the thrill.

mcoy 01-25-2023 10:04 AM

You can also set xp compatibility mode on eqgame.exe to sp2 or sp3 and that'll let you camp without crashing too (most likely).

-Mcoy

cc0 01-25-2023 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoy (Post 3562310)
You can also set xp compatibility mode on eqgame.exe to sp2 or sp3 and that'll let you camp without crashing too (most likely).

-Mcoy

For AMD gfx folks just be aware that this compatibility mode may screw with the fps in EQ.

BarackObooma 01-25-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoy (Post 3562310)

-Mcoy

This method unfortunately didn't work with either of my last two computers and several other people that I talked to it didn't work for either.

Preacher85 01-26-2023 11:24 AM

eqgame.exe to SP3 in Win11 worked for me. I was really upset with the crashes. My son's pc has a Radeon/AMD card and when I turned on sp3 it crashed his client every time and had to disable it. He oddly enough doesn't crash when logging to character select. All the PC's with nvidia cards do (4 of us in the same house).

Ringi 01-28-2023 01:41 PM

So, I've been reading through a lot of these crashing when camping threads and I tried one of the suggested "fixes" that seemingly has been working for me so far (like ~10 character swaps so far).

I swapped to use the Default_Old UI on all of my characters on my account. I was previously using the Default UI and crashing almost every time I camped. It was so frustrating.

I was previously doing the Compatibility Mode SP2/SP3 trick on my old machine, which had a Nvidia 970 GT, but I recently built a new desktop with a Radeon 6700XT which some have mentioned issues with AMD/Radeon cards. Maybe it's the card, maybe it's another component on my system, but I wasn't able to run eqgame.exe in Compatibility for XP SP2/SP3, just kept getting runtime errors.

WokeCat 01-29-2023 07:34 PM

Duxa fixed it for me ngl

also having characters on different accounts

can just type /quit and log onto other account and log on your other character pretty fast

Ringi 01-30-2023 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WokeCat (Post 3564989)
Duxa fixed it for me ngl

also having characters on different accounts

can just type /quit and log onto other account and log on your other character pretty fast

surprisingly, even typing /q, I would still get the crash notification.

Glad to see another person addressing the crashing issue by changing from the 'Default' UI. I'm going to give DUXA a try because I actually liked the way that UI spelled out spells and buffs.