Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Options for Volunteer Devs / Contribution (/forums/showthread.php?t=315510)

rogerk 01-21-2019 12:14 AM

Options for Volunteer Devs / Contribution

I'm a developer and love the game was wondering if you guys have some sort of system for developer contribution. At the very least I'd like to volunteer my service as support.

I would prefer this to giving donations but if that's not an option I'll throw some heady plat your way.

Really appreciate all the work that goes into keeping something like this running.

Artaenc 01-21-2019 12:28 AM

I'd continue to contribute and would like to help with this can't login issue if I was given the chance.

loramin 01-21-2019 12:30 PM

https://www.project1999.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=33

It's for guide applications, but I don't think they have a separate forum for dev applications so I believe you're just supposed to use it.

paulgiamatti 01-22-2019 06:38 AM

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6897

paulgiamatti 01-22-2019 07:14 AM

There's good reason why most development recruiting happens very early on in any software project (see The Mythical Man-Month) - as much as I'm sure the P99 dev team would appreciate some extra hands, there isn't really a way to bring a completely green developer on board and get them up to speed in a way that would be much more meaningful than letting them figure it out on their own using the wealth of EQEmu resources to submit source code changes freelance style. The only difference would be giving them access to the P99 source code, and when a project is this far along in development it makes more sense to vet any new developers by letting whomever is passionate enough about the project start making contributions on their own, effectively weeding out anyone who might just clone the source and go start up their own P99 knock-off while simultaneously addressing the Man-Month issue, since no one will have to dedicate countless hours training them in for the job.

I suspect there may be a renewed interest in taking on devs once the green server launches, but that will probably just involve giving people who are already contributing in some capacity a fancy forum name so that they, too, can reap the rewards of the unpaid labor of love that is classic elf sim creation.