Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Red Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Honest question regarding SK races (/forums/showthread.php?t=50843)

Khurak 10-06-2011 07:41 AM

Honest question regarding SK races

Ok i know i will end up playing what i want (not truely a min/max peep here).

However, Is it even worth it to play a DE vs an Ogre or Troll?
Is the additional mana going to be worth it in the end vs STR, STA, Slam (+ Stun Immunity or Regen) since Hide will be a skill for all.

Am i missing something in high level PvP? Besides the DE look cool factor ?

Thanks,

Cwall 10-06-2011 08:05 AM

no

just get a guise and all of your fantasies will come true

Bockscar 10-06-2011 08:30 AM

There's usually no advantage to playing a weaker melee race. VZ/TZ had kickstun at 50 so I chose a dwarf warrior because of the better resists and high dex (which mattered with the highly custom garagebox combat code) but I would never do it here. You'd just gimp yourself so much.

The mana isn't very important for a hybrid. You mostly cast cheap spells, and you depend so little on these spells that you don't even have to use them half the time. Mana pool is pretty unimportant for any class in PvE, and in PvP you'll soon be unable to use most of your spells to any meaningful effect anyway. Once people have gear, your casts in PvP will be mostly lifetaps and feign death. One or two extra lifetaps is not worth the difference of, what, 50+ extra strength and stamina. Ever.

Also consider just how weak some of those races are. A dwarf is fine stat-wise, but any elf, erudite or gnome tank will have to dump all their points in strength anyway or they'll be encumbered with just their armor and empty bags. 70ish strength is simply not enough at a point in time where strength gear is not very common and usually mutually exclusive with tank or resist gear. It doesn't stop becoming a problem until Velious where most gear comes with all sorts of stats on every piece. Even in Kunark, tank gear mostly just gives AC and HP. Playing an ogre over an elf/gnome/african/human is basically like being far better geared. You'll have like two or three hundred more HP, considerably better damage, and you'll never have trouble carrying the extra gear you have to carry on a PvP server.

Khurak 10-06-2011 08:54 AM

Thanks for that, i was wondering if i was missing something, I guess i wasn't :)

Softcore PK 10-06-2011 01:29 PM

I'd never play as ogre or troll. Who in their right mind would want to play as a disgusting hulk of a monster? :s

Erudite, iksar and dark elf all the way; min/maxers be damned.

Envious 10-06-2011 01:50 PM

Guise...

nilbog 10-06-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khurak (Post 425883)
However, Is it even worth it to play a DE vs an Ogre or Troll?

Ring of the Dead is pretty awesome.

Harrison 10-06-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softcore PK (Post 426106)
I'd never play as ogre or troll. Who in their right mind would want to play as a disgusting hulk of a monster? :s

Erudite, iksar and dark elf all the way; min/maxers be damned.

Everquest isn't a fashion show, and much less so on PVP.

Softcore PK 10-06-2011 02:23 PM

Everquest can be a fashion show if I want.

L1ch 10-06-2011 06:51 PM

MAKE IT WORK

http://www.hostile.org/eq/fashion/