Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New (Old) Player... worth it now? (/forums/showthread.php?t=1447)

Bannen 12-14-2009 11:41 PM

New (Old) Player... worth it now?

Been wandering the land of mmo's for the past 4-5 years buying every game out there, playing it to max and quitting. Been reading about p99 and of course am in love with the 'idea'... not sure if I'll be in love with the gameplay. So much of the original game and the memories I have are because of the people.

So, just a question out to the void...

Worth it to start now? Can you find groups in the beginning or has the population moved on?

Don't have Titanium as I bought the day this game came out in 99 but tempted to run out and grab it.

Thoughts?

Bannen... former Rogue, living the dream

Zobex 12-14-2009 11:45 PM

Groups are easy to find for most levels.. Low lvl croc groups.. mid lvl Unrest, MM.. then SolA, SolB, etc.. Come get some!!
Dot

Bannen 12-15-2009 12:27 AM

edited post so people would stop posting links to copyrighted material

Vanech 12-15-2009 12:34 AM

I've played crap-tons of MMOs since I quit Live, and not a single one has been able to replicate that 'oh crap I'm screwed' feeling that classic EQ had. Project 1999 has been able to spark that 'ol adrenal gland fueled fight or flight reflex that got me addicted to EQ in the first place, and in my opinion it's worth it.

President 12-15-2009 12:37 AM

EDIT* p1999 does not suggest or discuss illegal activity.

Bannen 12-15-2009 12:39 AM

Thanks.

Now to pick a class. 40% penalty does not interest me or I'd be a bard, even with the bugs.

Naerron 12-15-2009 12:48 AM

To me the community seems to be recreated to its fullest, of course on a smaller scale. The guild scene seems to be there, already have two big raiding guilds, who in true classic fashion are feuding and competing with each other. Along with that are the many smaller guild options, from the hardcore to the casual/family.

The individual player community seems to be there as well you have your jerks, your helpful people, your hardcore geeks, your casuals who have been >20 for months. Unlike most EQemu you can still find some anonymity on the server due to the large population. Be warned though, although most of us are no longer teenagers we still cause drama like we are...the lasting affects of the maturing in the MMO world of tid for tat can be felt.

As far as game play, the classic everquest world of trials and tribulations, high risk vs reward, and emphasis on group play is very much alive. All of this highlighted by the fact that 2-boxing is not allowed, so much more peer to peer action is happening and an overall a more balanced class ratio.
As far as being weary about giving it a try, you shoulden't be. First off if you liked classic EQ you will like p99, A) the content and play style had a big influence on the community forged in norrath, B) this is a population of consisting of people looking for just that, the community and gameplay of classic EQ. Secondly its totally free (for the users who choose not to donate), and instead of dropping too much $$ for EQ titanium off the shelves or amazon i found it much easier to type EQtitanium torrent into my google search bar for a much better price. Then you can used the money you saved to donate to keeping this wonderful project going, the devs pay for the hosting.

All in all, there is no reason to not give it a try again, unless you have a good woman living with you who doesnt understand MMOs haha, or kids you will end up neglecting, or a good job you don't want to be fired from, or are in school and don't want to flunk out. Like i said, its pretty much classic, so log on have fun.

Humerox 12-15-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bannen (Post 9190)
One more question, sorry if this has been answered but I did a search and didn't see it.

Is their somewhere I can download Titanium?

I got mine from a torrent. This links the right file I THINK. Always be careful when downloading...but I'm pretty sure this torrent is what I used.

Edit:

From the rules.

- DO NOT post copyrighted materials, links to get copyrighted materials, or discuss illegal methods to obtain copyrighted materials.

Zithax 12-15-2009 01:47 AM

Quote:

I got mine from a torrent. This links the right file I THINK. Always be careful when downloading...but I'm pretty sure this torrent is what I used.

Edit:

From the rules.

- DO NOT post copyrighted materials, links to get copyrighted materials, or discuss illegal methods to obtain copyrighted materials.

This is legal only if you already own the software, just so we are clear. It is also not illegal to display the link, however I would recommend you post it as code so people are forced to copy/paste it instead of clicking the link so the project1999.org domain won't show up as a referral.

Pyrocat 12-15-2009 01:48 AM

Forum rules say you're not allowed to post the link, so please remove it.