Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Necro Bone Knight - Upper Limit? (/forums/showthread.php?t=428516)

zelld52 02-13-2024 10:40 AM

Necro Bone Knight - Upper Limit?

I am doing a second necro, because necros are fun. My first necro, I drain-tanked with a Smoldering Brand (upgraded to Staff of Writhing around level 20) and a Tolapumj Robe.

It worked well up until around level 30-35. 30-35 I mostly fear-kited guards in WK / WC. Started charming at level 34, and flew to 60.

However - this time around - I want to try and drain-tank as long as possible. It's been 2 years, so I was able to give this Necro a bunch of STR, AC, DEX gear and a Velium Crystal Staff.

Close blues (1-3 levels lower) are rough. If I can't get a Lifetap off (CHANNELING SUCKS, THEY BROKE IT!!!): the fight gets a little hairy, and requires a bit of downtime to recover.

I wonder, because I never went too far past 30 tanking - How much further can I go? I know some necros got all the way to 50 in classic by drain-tanking. (Vampiric Embrace OP)

Anyone done that? Or even cooler, gotten to 60 drain-tanking?

Toxigen 02-13-2024 10:44 AM

sounds awful

enjchanter 02-14-2024 04:45 PM

Sounds awful

DeathsSilkyMist 02-14-2024 04:58 PM

You might be able to do this all the way to 60 on low blues or greens that still give XP. It would probably feel like soloing on a Rogue at higher levels. Lots of downtime after each fight.

Levels 1-40 are generally quite easy on any class, as mobs are considerably weaker. Mobs that are level 40+ get a significant boost to their stats and DPS.

Charming a pet and giving it Swarmcaller would help this build out a lot. Slowed mobs would deal significantly less damage, and you would get interrupted less often. But at that point the pet is doing most of the work hehe.

Honestly an Enchanter would probably be the best melee cloth caster if you want to do that. You can slow the mob, haste yourself, and use the Rune line of spells to reduce your HP recovery times. Plus you can pull mobs very well.

Uteunayr 02-15-2024 02:15 PM

I know of one person who got up to the mid 50s on a pure Bone Knight build. Mind you, they were twinked to hell and stacked with NToV loot once they hit 46. Not sure how efficient it would be for a less-twinked toon.

Toxigen 02-15-2024 03:39 PM

feshlak staff just ask unchainedfury

PestilentCancer 02-17-2024 03:04 AM

I have done it all the way to 60. Just tunnel gear with an AGI built Iksar Nec. Been playing a DEX build lately and have gotten that to 57 so far with no issues. I don’t kill just low blues. It’s actually kinda fun, and you can still always transition into traditional necro strats if you want. Footage for proof at YouTube.com/@kankersaur

Sizar 02-21-2024 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PestilentCancer (Post 3674734)
I have done it all the way to 60. Just tunnel gear with an AGI built Iksar Nec. Been playing a DEX build lately and have gotten that to 57 so far with no issues. I don’t kill just low blues. It’s actually kinda fun, and you can still always transition into traditional necro strats if you want. Footage for proof at YouTube.com/@kankersaur

AGI?? I know this is a point of contention but I think the majority of people believe that AGI does nothing on P99 over what I forget 75 or 80? Did you hamstring yourself on purpose going AGI?

enjchanter 02-21-2024 08:40 PM

He did yea

Tnair 02-22-2024 08:18 AM

higher agi also reduces slowdown and (displayed) ac loss from being encumbered