Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Beginner questions. (/forums/showthread.php?t=333592)

Nameless One 09-11-2019 10:16 AM

Beginner questions.

Hello everyone. I was introduced to EQ 20 years ago but never really had the chance to play it, just to watch some people play. I was still a kid back then and by the time I got my first computer, DAOC was already out. I'm a fan of old school RPGs where you have to earn your character and "grind it out". Ever since DAOC became a weird game since the release of ToA and other expansions, the DAOC community sadly became strange too. Not enough normal people around, even the 40+ people are spoiled brats who want it fast and cheap, and not enjoy the journey. Also a lot of ego, people who have been playing the game for many years absolutely refuse to learn, ask questions etc.

But anyway, that's beside the point. Let's just say I want to experience EQ for the first time in my life. A friend of mine actually told me about this server years ago but I got sidetracked and now decided to actually join.

I'm willing to learn, follow the rules and hopefully enjoy nice conversations with some mature players. I know it's a complex topic, but I'd appreciate any advice on character creation, choice of class and PvP in general. Any DAOC players here who can tell me if templating system is similar to DAOC and should I make one char for farming and to finance my main char or can I do it all on my main char etc.?

Budder 09-11-2019 11:12 AM

A lot to learn. There’s a lot of good guides on the wiki from how to play classes, what class does what the best and leveling guides and making plat. Just study them and a lot of your questions will be answered there!

loramin 09-11-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nameless One (Post 2959086)
I'm willing to learn, follow the rules and hopefully enjoy nice conversations with some mature players. I know it's a complex topic, but I'd appreciate any advice on character creation, choice of class and PvP in general. Any DAOC players here who can tell me if templating system is similar to DAOC and should I make one char for farming and to finance my main char or can I do it all on my main char etc.?

First off: http://wiki.project1999.com. It's just like Allakhazam and all those sites (IIRC they did DaoC too back in the day), but rolled into a single place.

Then, as a new player, you're going to want to spend a lot of time on this page: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

It's full of guides (including one just for new players) about the game.

Finally, as for making a "farm character", that is an EverQuest practice too, but not a necessary one. Even the most group dependent classes like Cleric or Warrior can level up to 60 in groups without much gear (though some people may scorn untwinked Warriors), and then at 60 they can do groups for camps with valuable loot.

But, if you pick a soloing class, they can likely get to 60 quicker, and then farm loot on their own, so there is something to be said for starting with such a class.

Whatever you decide to play, welcome!

Nameless One 09-11-2019 11:38 AM

Thanks a lot guys, gonna get right on it :D.

Danth 09-11-2019 12:44 PM

While P1999 has a PvP server, it's not very popular and the game as a whole isn't really meant as a PvP game. If you want to primarily do PvP I strongly advise sticking with DAOC, even with the peculiar 8v8-obsessed community that inhabits that game's emulator scene. EQ is, by far, primarily a PvE game. There is NO equivalent to keeps, territory control, separate realms (even on the aforementioned PvP server everyone's intermingled--it's open/full PvP), siege engines, realm abilities or realm points, or any of the other PvP-centric features DAOC is known for.

Equipment in this game does not require DAOC-style templates because crafted equipment is not customizable here like it is in that game. You do not need a finance character and you certainly don't need to make a cabalist and trade PL's to level up the character you really want to play. EQ also has far more PvE content than DAOC, with much less asset re-use and generally deeper PvE mechanics and better monster behavior, as well as classes that aren't hamstrung by the need to keep them PvP-balanced. The leveling is very slow, much slower than that of DAOC, but since the PvE is the main purpose of the game it isn't a problem per se, just something to be aware of.

Danth

kjs86z 09-11-2019 01:09 PM

Step 1: always keep the wiki open and use it all the time.

Budder 09-11-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2959120)
First off: http://wiki.project1999.com. It's just like Allakhazam and all those sites (IIRC they did DaoC too back in the day), but rolled into a single place.

Then, as a new player, you're going to want to spend a lot of time on this page: http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

It's full of guides (including one just for new players) about the game.

Finally, as for making a "farm character", that is an EverQuest practice too, but not a necessary one. Even the most group dependent classes like Cleric or Warrior can level up to 60 in groups without much gear (though some people may scorn untwinked Warriors), and then at 60 they can do groups for camps with valuable loot.

But, if you pick a soloing class, they can likely get to 60 quicker, and then farm loot on their own, so there is something to be said for starting with such a class.

Whatever you decide to play, welcome!

Basically exactly what the guy with the funny bear hat said!! Those were the links I was talking about but don’t know how to add them 🤪