Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   does boxing mean only one character at a time, or only one period? (/forums/showthread.php?t=342687)

Oyster Hippopotamus 11-28-2019 05:21 AM

does boxing mean only one character at a time, or only one period?

hello, sorry for my noobish question, this is my first time playing Everquest, i did not play back in the day and I have not played the full version of EQ either, so I am slightly confused about the boxing rule. does boxing mean we can only have one character active at a time, or only one character period? If it's the latter, I guess that means there is no way to play all the different possible character combinations? Or, you would at least need to delete your existing character first?

Naxy 11-28-2019 01:28 PM

One at the time.

Ekl_Mortain 11-28-2019 01:32 PM

I thought this

"6. You may not have more than one client running per real life person playing on Project 1999 (Boxing).

There is no 'boxing' on Project 1999 servers. Boxing is defined as having more than one client running from a single computer, or having more than one client running per person in the same household on different computers. Project 1999 has an IP block on its servers to prevent players from boxing. You may apply for an IP exemption if you have more than one person in your household wanting to play by following the instructions on this forum:"

Ment that you couldn't run multiple applications of everquest to allow you to play with yourself.

Ekl_Mortain 11-28-2019 01:33 PM

Cause even i may be under a misunderstanding here if thats not the case.

Ekl_Mortain 11-28-2019 01:36 PM

"Project 1999 and Boxing
Project 1999 is (legally) not allowed to charge for accounts. This means they have only two options, both of which aren't classic:

allow limitless free accounts to play at once: this would follow classic mechanics, but (as virtually every other emulated EQ server has shown) such a server would quickly feel empty as everyone you meet would be "playing with themselves"

limit each player to playing one account a time.

Project 1999 chooses the later option, and the "one-box" limit is part of the server's Play Nice Policies."

From the wiki :3

Evets 11-28-2019 05:09 PM

You can create however many different characters you like (up to your limit per account of course)

You can NOT play two or more characters at once(called boxing), either in a different window(boxing) OR using another computer(true boxing).

So its pretty much this: "Only one character allowed to be played at a time per person"

Menden 11-29-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evets (Post 3038500)
You can create however many different characters you like (up to your limit per account of course)

You can NOT play two or more characters at once(called boxing), either in a different window(boxing) OR using another computer(true boxing).

So its pretty much this: "Only one character allowed to be played at a time per person"

boom

Videri 11-29-2019 03:27 PM

Yeah, Oyster, you can make as many characters as you want! You just can’t play two at once; which is nice, because other people also can’t do so, so you’ll have people to group with. Anyway, some people make one of every class. I have a friend who has 3 clerics, all different levels. And you’ll see some people’s forum signatures list multiple characters.

Oyster Hippopotamus 11-29-2019 11:15 PM

Great! Thanks for the clarification everyone.

Kubaton 11-30-2019 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menden (Post 3039200)
boom

Should we add NO Family sharing of accounts as well? :)