Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Guild Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Looking for a guild that doesn't use Discord (/forums/showthread.php?t=382584)

tycohunden 04-13-2021 11:42 AM

Looking for a guild that doesn't use Discord

Heya! Seems like every guild I check are using the horrible and unsafe program Discord to communicate.
Is there any guilds out there who still uses the safer albeit less trendy communication programs such as ventrilo/mumble/Teamspeak?

Thank you!

Baler 04-13-2021 11:44 AM

back in 2014-2016ish guilds used mumble/teamspeak
everyone hopped on the discord train and ignored it's spyware.

Goodluck :(

Edit: Mumble is the safest option if configured correctly due to it's built in encryption.

feniin 04-13-2021 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycohunden (Post 3288145)
Heya! Seems like every guild I check are using the horrible and unsafe program Discord to communicate.
Is there any guilds out there who still uses the safer albeit less trendy communication programs such as ventrilo/mumble/Teamspeak?

Thank you!

unsafe?

Baler 04-13-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feniin (Post 3288149)
unsafe?

You can get people's IP address via discord, Yes I know discord likes to tout how everything has to go through their servers. They ignore and shame anyone who says it's not safe.

Plus discord watches the processes on your computer which could potentially be gathering other information.

discord is straight up spyware

tycohunden 04-13-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feniin (Post 3288149)
unsafe?

You didn't know that? I ain't touching that shit with a ten foot pole!

Baler 04-13-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycohunden (Post 3288155)
You didn't know that? I ain't touching that shit with a ten foot pole!

If you don't want to install discord client. You could use it in a browser but you won't be able to talk yourself. Another option is a third party client such as https://cancel.fm/ripcord/ It's very limited in capability but at least it's not the default discord client.

Don't try to use a vpn with discord, discord will lock your lock account and demand you give them a phone number. Basically hold your account hostage until you give them what they want.

edit: I'll stop posting in your thread, sorry if I de-railed it. Good luck!

tycohunden 04-13-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baler (Post 3288158)
If you don't want to install discord client. You could use it in a browser but you won't be able to talk yourself. Another option is a third party client such as https://cancel.fm/ripcord/ It's very limited in capability but at least it's not the default discord client.

Don't try to use a vpn with discord, discord will lock your lock account and demand you give them a phone number. Basically hold your account hostage until you give them what they want.

I want to join a guild that doesn't use botnet apps... Otherwise I can stay guildless.
Seriously fuck discord lol.

bunnyfoofoo 04-13-2021 06:24 PM

For the true classic experience, let's make a guild and use Roger Wilco as we did back in the day.

feniin 04-13-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baler (Post 3288153)
You can get people's IP address via discord, Yes I know discord likes to tout how everything has to go through their servers. They ignore and shame anyone who says it's not safe.

Plus discord watches the processes on your computer which could potentially be gathering other information.

discord is straight up spyware

knowing someone's IP address is not useful information in nearly 100% of scenarios.

tycohunden 04-14-2021 03:48 AM

So no, all the guilds use discord? All I wanted to know!