Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Constant Reset Device and crashes. (/forums/showthread.php?t=376851)

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-21-2021 11:08 AM

Constant Reset Device and crashes.

Lately I've been experiencing an increased number of crashes. Nothing has changed on my end. I was avoiding the spots they would happen in Howling Stones, but today I had 6 crashes in less then 2 hours.

When I converted to WinEQ 2.0 it stopped the camp out crashing, and then I upgraded it. Once I started paying for the subscription version if it I experienced almost no crashes at all for months. Now, my crashes are continually getting worse by the week.

Has anyone found a reliable way to avoid crashing? I thought about doing a VM to Wine 5.5 with Linux after I saw someone say they don't crash at all with it...right up until I talked to the Enchanter that CR'ed myself and my duo partner in HS said they crash on it.

Just looking for options to test out at the moment. I've done the Service Pack 2, and switched it to Windows 7. Nothing seems different at all.

Oletoffen 01-21-2021 12:33 PM

Orc

Okay, I haven't had a crash since installing dgVoodoo and running in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2 with admin privileges.

The program does look legit and seems to help patch old games to run in newer computers for windows by providing certain graphics DLLs.

I downloaded the zip from here (current version is v2.72):
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

Then unzip that, and follow the instructions in the in QuickGuide.html.

I ended up moving all 7 .DLL files into my project 1999 game folder and haven't had a crash after camping since.

from the extracted 3Dfx\x86 folder:
Glide.dll
Glide2x.dll
Glide3x.dll

from the extracted MS\x86 folder:
DDraw.dll
D3DImm.dll
D3D8.dll
D3D9.dll

Then in the project 1999 game folder, right click eqgame.exe, go to the compatibility tab, and make sure you have windows xp (service pack 2) and "Run this program as administrator" checked.

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-21-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oletoffen (Post 3247609)
Orc

Okay, I haven't had a crash since installing dgVoodoo and running in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 2 with admin privileges.

The program does look legit and seems to help patch old games to run in newer computers for windows by providing certain graphics DLLs.

I downloaded the zip from here (current version is v2.72):
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/

Then unzip that, and follow the instructions in the in QuickGuide.html.

I ended up moving all 7 .DLL files into my project 1999 game folder and haven't had a crash after camping since.

from the extracted 3Dfx\x86 folder:
Glide.dll
Glide2x.dll
Glide3x.dll

from the extracted MS\x86 folder:
DDraw.dll
D3DImm.dll
D3D8.dll
D3D9.dll

Then in the project 1999 game folder, right click eqgame.exe, go to the compatibility tab, and make sure you have windows xp (service pack 2) and "Run this program as administrator" checked.

Will try that, thank you!

Edit: I wished it was crashing while camping I was worried about instead of moving. Hopefully it does the same thing for just running around in a zone.

mcoy 01-21-2021 02:44 PM

It adds a watermark btw - you can turn it off by editing the conf file or using the exe that's included in the zip.

-Mcoy

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-23-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoy (Post 3247677)
It adds a watermark btw - you can turn it off by editing the conf file or using the exe that's included in the zip.

-Mcoy

I may have to restart my PC to get that to work. I de-selected it via the menu and confirmed it was now showing false for that in the config file.

So far this has changed quite a bit of stuff for me. I can camp out and re-log into one of my other accounts without having to close it all the way out and crashing every time. EQWin doesn't seem to like it, tells me to delete two .dll files and no longer look full screen via the borderless EQWin option. I can open up other applications without my game hesitating when it decides to crash or not like it did with EQWin.

My sound isn't working anymore, but that isn't anything I'm overly concerned about. It changed all of my UI Lay outs for some reason except my monk. Still trying to figure that one out.

So far, though, awesome fix just for some of the other stuff it helped.

mcoy 01-23-2021 06:19 PM

Based on you losing UI layouts I'm assuming your installation is in Program Files. Move it out of there. You can find your character INI files in c:\users\<username>\appdata and copy them into the EQ folder and that should restore them (otherwise they'll regenerate the next time you play those characters and fix your UI).

-Mcoy

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-23-2021 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoy (Post 3248530)
Based on you losing UI layouts I'm assuming your installation is in Program Files. Move it out of there. You can find your character INI files in c:\users\<username>\appdata and copy them into the EQ folder and that should restore them (otherwise they'll regenerate the next time you play those characters and fix your UI).

-Mcoy

I set it up into my C drive already . C:\EQEmu is my directory.

Question, though. Do you use Launch Titanium or Everquest.bat file to open? I set up my Titanium bat with 'start /wait eqgame.exe patchme' in it but never used it. Using it now. Hopefully I can catch someone in West Wing of Howling Stones so I can run around in the spots that crash me.

mcoy 01-24-2021 08:36 AM

I use a shortcut to "launch titanium.bat" and I've defined the "Start in" field to point to my EQ install:

https://imgur.com/oDYskTy.jpg

-Mcoy

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-24-2021 11:01 AM

Okay, I may try that. Right now I'm using the A_Run_Everquest.bat where you run it off of a random core from your CPU. I took out the two DLL files that EQWin didn't like but I'm not using EQWin at all now. I just had a Visual C++ Error I think it was, but I was logging back and forth between accounts 4-5 times real quick so...if that is the worse thing I'll take it. Two and a half hours in North Wing of HS, 0 faults. I did have a hitch in FV where my screen just froze and stopped and I was waiting for the error. Nothing came, I Just Alt+Tabbed to full screen and back out again, no crash. That is when I was using the Launch_Titanium.bat file, so it makes me wonder if that is what the /wait part you put in it. No idea, honestly.

The game seems to run smoother this way, like my FPS is actually good. Could be in my head. I wished I would have did one thing at a time to narrow down the fix but...Killing my duo partner in HS and myself and waiting for a CR really just dampers the mood.

Here is to hoping it'll be a success!

Cecel__Soulhealer 01-31-2021 07:40 AM

So, something I found in my never ending search to prevent crashing was from a Dev on Day Break's forum, https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/...failed.253742/ It was one of the two changes I made, the other being I set my game to run off of one core at random as the wiki suggest.

Please add this line to your eqclient.ini:
GraphicsDLL9=EQGraphicsDX9.DLL

I also recommend updating the existing CPUAffinity lines:
CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1

I haven't crashed since my original post, but I do freeze. I've only had three in game freezes since that day, and alt+enter twice works every time so far. Once I finish my level I'll probably take out the .DLL file to see if the game still runs fine. Try to figure out which one is the actual fix.

I did dg_VooDoo, but I was still trying to use EQWin for borderless. I found Borderless Gaming and use it now, it just makes your mouse clicks slightly off. Figured I'd toss another fix out there, the .DLL addition to your eqclient.ini I know the issue is frustrating as hell.