Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   2H vs Sword 'n Board (/forums/showthread.php?t=81579)

Shao Pai Long 08-14-2012 07:20 AM

2H vs Sword 'n Board

I have a bit of a stupid question, having never really got that high of level in live.

For Paladins, either in solo or in group/tanking environments, what is the most effective combat style, shield and sword for the extra AC and bashing, or 2 handed for the extra damage?

I ask because, when I did group with others (in live, specifically the prog servers) and went with shield and 1H, the rest of the group kept asking me why I was doing it that way. also, I seemed to have issues holding aggro.

I guess certain other games spoiled me on taunt being a 100% chance to work every time and lasts for several seconds ability, maybe?

theaetatus 08-14-2012 08:21 AM

Slightly more damage vs slightly more AC and being able to bash. Compared to how much dps a group should be doing, your increase in dps from using a 2h will be minimal.

90% of your threat comes from spells anyway so that's not so much of an issue.

Itap 08-14-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theaetatus (Post 706273)
90% of your threat comes from spells anyway so that's not so much of an issue.

This. The extra AC and chance to interrupt spells is more beneficial in a group setting.

Haul 08-14-2012 08:46 AM

if you're item hasted + group buff hasted 2h will highly out dps

Shao Pai Long 08-14-2012 09:28 AM

part of the reason for my query is, in diving allakazam, our epic and most of the lead up weapons to it are 2handers

Estu 08-14-2012 10:00 AM

I'd definitely go 1H and shield. Your job is to tank, not DPS. You'll be doing a lot less DPS than actual DPS classes anyway (assuming gear is around equivalent). That being said, doing more DPS at lower levels when there's not as much of a difference between melee classes certainly has its advantages, so in that sense for me it's more of a personal preference, but in later levels there's a stronger argument to be made for having a shield instead.

runlvlzero 08-14-2012 08:56 PM

Do both, sometimes its nice to pull out the 2hander and do a little more dmg when buffed up nicely. Especially if offtanking.

But your primary gear should be a decent 1h and shield. The resists alone from MM sheild are worth it.

Tecmos Deception 08-14-2012 10:37 PM

If a paladin isn't epicced or wielding a VP 2-hander, he can do like 90% as much damage with a rod of faith as he can with any 2h... except then he can also be rocking some sweet shield AC if he's swinging the rod of faith.

Messianic 08-17-2012 07:13 AM

An oft overlooked fact is that Shield AC goes above and beyond the soft AC cap, so it's pretty darn effective.

At least that's how mechanics worked back on live in the Velious/Luclin era when I researched it.

Slycen 08-18-2012 03:40 PM

sword n board looks cool anyway....