Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   More layoffs at Daybreak Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=336030)

fastboy21 10-12-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galach (Post 2982980)
If DBG ever needs to liquidate assets or goes bankrupt, I fully expect Amazon Games/Smedley to buy the rights.

why amazon games?

Swish 10-13-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horza (Post 2982746)
Daybreak Games lays off multiple employees in company 'realignment.'

Choice word, I think we all prefer "downsize" as they're making nothing new. Hanging onto a few old IPs isn't going to keep that ship afloat. Matter of time before they sink and do call it a day... if I was an employee still working there I'd be passing resumes around.

Their biggest mistake was cancelling EQ Next, it didn't look great as time went on (versus the original SOE trailer) but I think there'd have been a revenue stream from it if they'd done it properly.

Bboboo 10-13-2019 04:39 AM

dead game

Niedar 10-13-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swish (Post 2983072)
Choice word, I think we all prefer "downsize" as they're making nothing new. Hanging onto a few old IPs isn't going to keep that ship afloat. Matter of time before they sink and do call it a day... if I was an employee still working there I'd be passing resumes around.

Their biggest mistake was cancelling EQ Next, it didn't look great as time went on (versus the original SOE trailer) but I think there'd have been a revenue stream from it if they'd done it properly.

They canceled EQ Next because they had no game. Continuing on is just sunk cost fallacy.

Jauna 10-13-2019 05:21 AM

what? a company that has old as fuck mmos that has no stay in the current world of phone games and the old 30-40 year olds dont have the time to grind for pixels is dying?

next youll tell me cable is dying as if it ever will in a world of streaming, illegal downloads are acceptable due to prosecutors will get hit with gigantic legal fees that greatly outweigh what they would gain are present i got bored typing thiswhole post and i gatta say i dont know how the hell they lasted this long considering EQ is still the kinda game where it would take a year or so to catch up and that year is at least 2 or so xpacs worth of time

i dunno how daybreak held on this long but I can see nilbog or rogean putting together their life savings for the past few years building up their reputation as game developers for the future liquidation of assets and everquest is for sale and kinda waiting out pantheon's post-mortdom status. yeah, spellcheck didnt know wtf i was trying to talk about either.

Swish 10-13-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niedar (Post 2983177)
They canceled EQ Next because they had no game. Continuing on is just sunk cost fallacy.

There was plenty of game to be had based on early footage. The problem was they didn't keep developing in that direction once SOE left the building.

It died for me way down the line when they released some pvp footage and the game looked nothing like the trailer and the mechanics looked clunky and basic. No budget/investment, no game.

Would love to see a day at Daybreak Games, what do they do there in terms of developing anything?

It's a matter of time before another "restructure" happens, down to the parent company hosting things in someone's house if it's not sold off sooner.

Aphexx2886 10-13-2019 11:42 AM

Daybreak is garbage

Nuggie 10-13-2019 01:03 PM

Smed buying is the best outcome I can see. He blessed P99 pretty early on.

Nuggie 10-13-2019 01:04 PM

Btw Swish, I'm digging the new cat-clarity GIF.

Clazxiss 10-13-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS (Post 2982848)
The venture elf caBaL lists have already uNiteD and begun the negotiating proceSs for da IP

You caN thaNk all da red millionAreS whEn grEEN is purChased anD convertEd to rallos zeK Ruleset within 6 monthS

Who let you in on this plan!?