Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Another Stupid Ever-EverQuest Questio: Non-Leveling Leveling Time (/forums/showthread.php?t=334040)

loramin 09-17-2019 11:21 AM

Another Stupid Ever-EverQuest Questio: Non-Leveling Leveling Time

Jibartik's Stupid Ever-Everquest question got me thinking about another question (but I didn't want to hijack that thread): which classes have to spend the most/least non-leveling time to "level up"?

What made me think of this was the mention of research spells in that thread. It made me realize that to "level up", Int casters need more than just XP: they have to take time to collect research parts from vendors or wherever, and then combine them. If you're just looking at the class from the outside, you don't realize that you'll need to spend (non-trivial) time doing research.

Once I started thinking about it, I realized this was a more general phenomena. Warriors need to spend more time in EC, or doing random less-XP camps, in order to get the weapons (and to a lesser extent armor) that they need to fill their role. In Kunark, Shaman need to put a lot of time/energy into acquiring Torpor (and possibly a JBB and epic before that).

But then a Rogue can almost stick to XPing 100% of the time. They need to go to EC or an item camp once every 20 levels for a new weapon or haste item maybe, but otherwise they can just move from XP camp to XP camp. Druids are pretty much the same.

So, with Green coming soon, my question is: in your opinion which classes have the most/worst "non-XPing leveling time" (especially time people who haven't played the class wouldn't think of), and which have least/best?

Keza 09-17-2019 11:46 AM

I am presuming this is on green, since you can just buy everything you need on blue. Getting a group on green as a paladin is going to be like getting a group on FFXI as a dragoon. Five hours of LFG before getting a group will probably give them the edge here. They also need some stat gear eventually so they'll need to spend even more time non-leveling to farm.

Necros are gonna be a PITA too. There's a stigma against grouping with them, limiting you to outdoor camps for a couple mobs that will likely be camped on green, requiring you to move, which you do slowly even without 2 bags full of pet weapons. Besides that, several of their pet/buff/lich spells are researched, and you can't pop in to EC to buy them for 20 plat since they don't exist. I don't think other casters suffer as much from this to impede their leveling.

Since the question is merely about hitting max level these two stand out to me since pallies will be godawful with no gear, no dps, no threat and a hybrid penalty. Necros would be fine if everyone wasn't more inclined to drink their own piss than invite them to the group even though they are pretty useful. Maybe they'll be more loved on green where ultratwinked rogs/mnks aren't a dime-a-dozen.

*Forgot this part - As for least it kind of depends. Again, going off the population etc I would say mages. Researching isn't necessary to level, and they can make their own bags/drink. Not sure how much time that saves but it means you don't have to ever leave a camp I guess. Druids are pretty solid since they can travel quickly in an attempt to find an open camp. Obviously most of all because both can effectively solo.

dwarf_cleric420 09-17-2019 11:55 AM

Oh man those poor necros that can't get groups whatever will they do?

Jibartik 09-17-2019 12:00 PM

You can always higjack a thread of mine! That goes for anyone! As long as you're talking about something that is a metaphor for everquest or is everquest 8)

My posts are intended to get exactly this thread to happen! WHAT A GREAT THREAD 8)

Edit: As for my 2cp on the class that requires the least time outside of just grinding EXP would be a mage... however the epic is very hard to get (or it used to be at least idk about now with all these expansions) so maybe that balances it out to be less than the ideal class for your quandary? :thinking emoji:

Necro would be another followup..

..Although, the research for a necro sucks up a lot of time (but maybe I'm just really bad at in game research)

BlackBellamy 09-17-2019 12:17 PM

Monks are the easiest. I've never "needed" to buy anything or spend any time on any quests or camps. It's just punch punch punch ding punch punch punch ding all the way up.

Jimjam 09-17-2019 12:40 PM

There is always a purchased pet a mage can use, even if it may not be the winningest option.

Surely monks have the potential for least downtime. Mechanically you're disuaded from looting anything but cloth so don't need to vendor or bank often. Its easy to empty your small change on bandages and food. Fists are a passable choice before kunark destroys itemisation philosophy.

Early levels monks are XPING close to home (facilitating skill acquisition) and once they hit 17 you can basically skip your 'kick button upgrade' until flying kick (pick up riposte at the same time).

To be honest i think most classes can skip a lot of 'non levelling time', but compromises might be made in doing so.

Jibartik 09-17-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 2962416)
God damn monk winning all the stupid everquest competitions!

:D

xCry0x 09-17-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 2962398)
Monks are the easiest. I've never "needed" to buy anything or spend any time on any quests or camps. It's just punch punch punch ding punch punch punch ding all the way up.

Monks definitely excel at this since they can basically level naked.

With that in mind, I think the most "non leveling leveling time" is spend LFG and/or finding a place to actually get exp on a crowded server.

So to that end, a druid is going to excel given they can solo and have the mobility to move from place to place. They also gain the ability to transport an entire group to different areas if the group is open to it - which is nice early on.

I'd also put an enchanter high up there given their solo abilities fairly early on and extremely low gear requirements. In addition to being wanted in every group. So unlike a monk, an enchanter could go LFG, likely find one easily, and if not, charm solo stuff until a group opens up.

Keza 09-17-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarf_cleric420 (Post 2962387)
Oh man those poor necros that can't get groups whatever will they do?

I see you're illiterate. Unfortunately I can't help you because you're illiterate, and this is a forum. Try checking your local elementary school. Oh wait.. you can't read that..

Oh forgot you mention you're also bad at the 20 year old game. It's not like there's tons of wikis with all of this explained to.. wait.. illiterate. Right. I just keep forgetting things.

Troxx 09-17-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keza (Post 2962468)
I see you're illiterate. Unfortunately I can't help you because you're illiterate, and this is a forum. Try checking your local elementary school. Oh wait.. you can't read that..

Oh forgot you mention you're also bad at the 20 year old game. It's not like there's tons of wikis with all of this explained to.. wait.. illiterate. Right. I just keep forgetting things.

Are you an angry fella?