Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Helping a friend to find a decent Job (/forums/showthread.php?t=372086)

Topgunben 11-19-2020 07:53 PM

Helping a friend to find a decent Job

Hey guys, I have a friend that is looking for a job that pays decent here in the USA. He doesnt have a ton of experience (no college degree), really doesnt have the best people skills, but he is a hard worker, clean record, and doesnt have kids or wife, so hes good for traveling. Hes not an asshole, just a little socially awkward/autistic.

I figure having a traveling job might be good for him because it may pay more and he doesnt have anything tying him down anyway. So doing some type of industrial construction, working in the oil fields, installing solar panels are all job types that come to mind.

He's looking for something that pays atleast $25 an hour.

If you have any suggestions, please post your thoughts or feel free to PM me. I am simply doing this to help a buddy that is in a rut in his life, and needs a hand up.

imperiouskitten 11-19-2020 08:07 PM

Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.

Topgunben 11-19-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imperiouskitten (Post 3214947)
Is he ok at computer stuff? I made a ok career by career climbing at small tech shops that would hire high school grads (I have a degree and whatnot tho). There's a shortage of reliable peeps out there for remote werk.

He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.

Lizard1 11-19-2020 08:31 PM

UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him

Topgunben 11-19-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizard1 (Post 3214956)
UPS

50k to start 70k within 3 years 100k in 10 + a pension and no one will bother him

Good suggestion. Is that money for drivers only?

imperiouskitten 11-19-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topgunben (Post 3214951)
He’s average with tech. Not a computer programmer.

If he can fudge an interview and qualifications, Windows administration / "network admin" stuff is very easy to get into and pays good. Basically if he can reformat a box and learn to add a PC to domain from a youtube tutorial, there's tons of shops that'd have use for him. Also SQL server and database jobs, which looks like programming but it's just so damn easy and intuitive.

Idk how people get these UPS jobs and stuff, seems impossible to get contact back to me. not to discourage

bubur 11-19-2020 11:49 PM

tell him
learn and take the following two certs:

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it

Topgunben 11-19-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubur (Post 3215056)
tell him
learn and take the following two certs:

comptia network+
comptia sec+

along the way document any experimentation and exploration of concepts in their own interests, ie. discovering they can secure their own computer, or buying and playing with a few pieces of hardware

instant 100k/yr no college required. could take 1-6 months, but you can train for the certs on udemy or another learning site of your choice at your own pace. just depends on how much he wants it

Interesting. I will send this his way.

He is 34 years old. I assumed that is too old to get started in programming.

bubur 11-19-2020 11:58 PM

can do network+ (which is mostly physical networking, wiring and servers, etc, not programming) and search for IT jobs while doing sec+

would not stop halfway though

it's not about programming, obviously that helps, but you can learn it after passing the tests. it's about concepts and memorization. literally anyone can do it, but statistically very few are. and the jobs are expanding so rapidly that no one can fill them. they even made a new distinction in government aside from the gs-level specific to cybersecurity - reason being, they cant keep these certified people away from private industry

Shourty 11-20-2020 12:47 AM

I was in the Air Force for 12 years and think that was a good steady secure job. Look into the military.