Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Make EQ's music (MIDI) sound Significantly Better. (/forums/showthread.php?t=81207)

Korisek 05-23-2013 02:25 AM

My issue is interesting.

As far as I am aware, I have installed and set everything up right. I can confirm as much by playing MIDI files I downloaded as tests.

However the music in Everquest only plays when I'm playing the test files, which I discovered when I tried playing the UNATCO theme while EQ was in the background and got the Blackburrow music instead.

I am using Windows XP SP3.

EDIT: Turns out I jumped the gun on reporting this as an issue. I had to go into my audio properties, load up the master volume control, and raise the volume for SW Synth. Then the music started playing as normal.

And Everquest doesn't sound so boring and lifeless anymore.

Jakaris 08-08-2013 05:48 PM

I have windows 7 and I can't get this to work, tried all of these programs. If anyone could help me with this, I would, quite literally, cry out in joy.

Rhun 08-11-2013 06:34 AM

Try "Run as Admin" on the config program.

Yinn Yang 11-20-2013 04:40 PM

Would this trick also work in The Grand Creation server? Anyone know? I'm using EQ Titanium install to play... not sure if the proper files (.xmi?) are there or not.

Bill Tetley 11-20-2013 07:03 PM

Music won't play anymore after setting this up. Doh!

Music still broke even after uninstalling :(

Problem happening on both my Win7 and Win8 computers.

Bill Tetley 11-21-2013 07:22 PM

Anyone know how I can fix my music? Not sure why but now EQ plays no music (but has other sounds) Wouldn't really suggest this if it breaks stuff

Cyph 11-21-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks for this, can't wait to try it out!

RiffDaemon 12-30-2013 12:27 AM

This should be a sticky. I actually played on the default Microsoft MIDI (didn't have a dedicated sound card at the time) back in the day. Playing P99 on Win7 sounds the same and gives me those nostalgia chills, but sometimes the instrument tracks start playing in different keys or go slightly off-tempo, creating ear vomit.

I've tried the OP's sound font, and all that has gone away. Gonna be neat listening to everything with fresh instrumentation. THANK YOU, OP!

phacemeltar 12-30-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Tetley (Post 1194519)
Music won't play anymore after setting this up. Doh!

Music still broke even after uninstalling :(

Problem happening on both my Win7 and Win8 computers.

it seems to me that this fix involves changing core windows files, so unless you have backed up your original windows files then you may have to reinstall your OS in order to undo this mod. correct me if im wrong.

phacemeltar 12-30-2013 01:47 AM

ok i just tried this and i think it sounds alot better than it did before. the music is definately not nearly as glitchy as it used to be. no more pops and clicks, so im impressed!