Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Crash sometimes while holding right mouse button (/forums/showthread.php?t=397011)

ShampooChicken 12-29-2021 01:06 PM

Crash sometimes while holding right mouse button

Noticed that I crash sometimes when holding the right mouse button and then moving the mouse quickly to turn. The faster I turn the more likely the crash seems to be. These crashes tend to come in clusters, not uncommon to get 3 in a 15 minute period and then none for hours or days.

Based on the situation that it's occurring in, two things come to mind.

1) Maybe the sudden view change is causing a sudden increase/drop in the polygons sent to the rendering pipeline, more than it can handle in that time period.
2) It could be a bug related to the mouse cursor itself, perhaps in conjunction with using a window whose resolution is "zoomed in" compared to the operating system.

Using Windows 10, 4k monitor resolution, EQ in a Window, at 1024x768 resolution. The EQ window takes up about half of the screen area since it is displaying the pixels larger than the monitor's native pixels.

Tewaz 12-29-2021 01:35 PM

This happens to me as well but only in certain places. Entering OT through the tunnel from SF is a big one. I don't use my mouse when I go through to avoid issues.

Also happened once running up to the gates of Felwithe in Gfay.

ShampooChicken 12-29-2021 02:34 PM

Okay so I'm not alone. I've had it happen at the entrance to Upper Guk from Innothule Swamp, and also while standing on the top of a gypsy tent in Oasis of Marr. Plus a few other places that I can't remember.

Lich 12-30-2021 05:50 AM

Look into "installing" dgvoodoo2. You drop a few dll files and a configuration file into your everquest directory and enjoy. If you don't like it just remove the files. This fixed all of my crash issues. I would constantly crash near the vendors in the overthere and a few other places but not anymore when using dgvoodoo2. I used winEq2 forever but crashing in the overthere and losing my illusion forced me to try alternatives.

ShampooChicken 12-30-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lich (Post 3404939)
Look into "installing" dgvoodoo2. You drop a few dll files and a configuration file into your everquest directory and enjoy. If you don't like it just remove the files. This fixed all of my crash issues. I would constantly crash near the vendors in the overthere and a few other places but not anymore when using dgvoodoo2. I used winEq2 forever but crashing in the overthere and losing my illusion forced me to try alternatives.

I'll give it a try. Thanks

starkind 12-30-2021 09:01 AM

Yep. Suppose I'll try dgvoodoo as well.

Reminds me of an kernal fault that happened a lot in the luclin erra on AMD, I have all intel, and Nvidia now tho. Used to happen every time in shadowhaven to the right of the port in, spire if I panned a certain way.

doormat00 12-30-2021 01:24 PM

There is a fix on this without dgvoodoo

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...zing+skyshrine

starkind 12-30-2021 01:43 PM

i got dgvoodoo working tho and i think its cool api wrapper so i'll continue to use that thank u for also link i have not tested the effecicacy of dgvoodo yet, i did sit and spin right for a minute succesfully trying to reproduce the bug a tiny bit

Quote:

The solution:
If your motherboard has an onboard gpu (I'd wager most do nowadays), then you can set windows to use that gpu for everquest only.
Go to control panel > Settings > Display (or windows key > "display settings") and click "Graphics Settings"
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...38/unknown.png
Browse for your eqgame.exe location to set a preference on that application
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...08/unknown.png
On the Graphics specifications dialog look at the Power saving GPU and High performance GPU. If you see a different gpu listed for Power saving, then you likely have an onboard graphics card that you can use (mine shows "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630). In this case you can simply select the "Power Saving" radio to have everquest run solely on your onboard GPU.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...75/unknown.png
If you do NOT see a different option for Power saving GPU, you may still have an onboard graphics card and simply need to enable it in BIOS (the steps for this will be specific to your motherboard so I cannot provide a universal guide to doing so)
oh i did had that tried, i had forced my fast addon gpu tho not the onboard one! cuz i was doing for other games the same thing! forcing the fast one did not work! I may mess with my antialising/texture filtering settings and stuff more so i would like to continue attemping to use the newer one with dgvoodoo! (so more testing will be done!)