Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Priests (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Charming vs quadding vs root rot for druid. (/forums/showthread.php?t=331960)

pijan 08-15-2019 11:30 AM

Charming vs quadding vs root rot for druid.

Curious to hear people's option on the most fun way to level a druid. Which do you prefer? Which do you feel is the fastest?

I was looking at quadding hut doesn't seem real viable until 34. Charming and root rot seem possible at level 14.

honeybee12874 08-15-2019 11:39 AM

Charming is my favorite solo method, if I can find a good place to do it. By far the most fun (in my opinion).

Even so, my most frequently used method is root rotting. It's chill and easy, especially when fighting non-casters.

I don't do quadding. I found it to be too stressful. However, I'm almost positive it's the fastest for solo XP (if you're good at it, which I am not lol) But yeah, you can't do it until you get Lightning Strike at 34. Or a Lumi Staff if you're into that sort of thing.

My fastest XP has always come from groups, though, to be honest. And I find grouping to be more fun compared to any of the solo options just due to the social aspect.

loramin 08-15-2019 11:46 AM

Personally I only root/rotted at the very lowest levels. My Druid was an alt, so my main got him a Goblin Gazughi Ring early on and then he was off to SK to charm elephants and such, followed by Rathe Mountain bears, then LOIO windmill tigers, and then I went to Cazic Thule to charm alligators for like ten levels (click the Druid filter on the Per-Level guide and you can mostly see the path I took, along with some extra ideas).

I did nothing but charming until 45 when I picked up a Lumi staff and started doing the giant fort in EW. I also did some quadding in EJ (it started with quadding the apes to try and make the guy for my epic spawn, but I discovered they weren't bad XP) and in WL with 4s/6s. But ultimately I did all the hard levels up to 60 charming in the Permafrost Bear Pit.

I don't think any one technique is better ... scratch that: root/rot is pretty clearly worse than either of the two alternatives, XP-wise. IMHO once you're able to charm/quad, root/rotting is for getting loot or lazy XPing, not serious XPing.

But between charming and quadding I don't think one's inherently superior. Both are very good, and I think exactly which one is better it depends on the details. What's the ZEM of the zone, what level are you/what spells do you have, what are the HP of the mobs in question, etc.

And there's also just a huge inherent difference between the two styles, in that charming is constant or near constant, while quading inherently requires breaks. So even if one is a little better or worse, you still might pick the other just because you do/don't like taking long breaks.

Madbad 08-15-2019 11:57 AM

Pretend to be a halfing cleric and heal in groups

circlerogue 08-15-2019 12:07 PM

Imo you should never really root/rot past level ~40. My progression was:

5-13: Root rotting Crushbone
14-19: Root rotting Sisters
19-24: Root rotting Upper Guk
24-30: Charming Everfrost mammoths
30-38: Root rotting Ancient Croc
38-41: I can't remember...
41-49: Quadding BB Dwarven citizens
50-51: Quadding Bloodgills
52: Quadding Spirocs and Wyverns
53-55: Quadding Raptors
56-60: Charming Bear pits

Madbad 08-15-2019 12:09 PM

I think I did 38-41 messing around in OT charming the animals there

I always found Spirocs to be heavily camped in Kunark era.

loramin 08-15-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madbad (Post 2947862)
I think I did 38-41 messing around in OT charming the animals there

I found the OT animals had insane resists, but it might have just been that there was a wide range of blues and I was picking high ones. I think if you want to do that zone you really have do the exact right area for your level, otherwise you'll burn through all your mana just trying to land/keep a charm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madbad (Post 2947862)
I always found Spirocs to be heavily camped in Kunark era.

They're still popular, but not so much that I had issues. I think maybe they were already taken one or two times, over the entire time (several levels) that I was there.

Larkverdin 08-15-2019 01:04 PM

Personally I'll always prefer grouping in some dungeon over soloing. As a druid, I know that sounds unusual, but it's why we play an MMO instead of single player. That said, if I am soloing, I'm always quadding. Root/rotting is pretty well reserved for named or specific camps. I don't care for charming really at all. I find it pretty stressful for something to break charm in the middle of a kill or something to that effect.

loramin 08-15-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larkverdin (Post 2947885)
I find it pretty stressful for something to break charm in the middle of a kill or something to that effect.

The trick is to always snare your pet before you charm it, keep the mob you're fighting snared also (and ideally rooted), and stand a little ways back.

That way even if a charm break does happen you have a couple seconds (because of the snare) to react. You can re-charm the pet, if you have the time to, or you can just root it (with your fastest/lowest level root) and then re-charm it. Either your pet or the other mob will break root soon enough to restart the fight.

Of course, that assumes you're only charm fighting two mobs. When you "swarm charm" (several mobs beating on your pet at once) root is an absolute necessity, or else charm breaks turn very lethal, very fast.

Dezlen 08-15-2019 01:14 PM

Root rotting does indeed suck...if you are rotting 1 at a time. Try 4-8 at a time, the exp is much better. This is only really possible with epic and click arms/bracer, and is much easier at 56 due to better root. The upside is you are killing mobs with very little mana spent, the downside is it takes awhile to kill them. It is much faster than quadding and you can do it in dungeons. The downside is the expensive requirement level this way.

Is it faster than bear pits? Probably not, but it's safer and less boring than being stuck in permafrost.