Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Chrome OS - Linux mode (/forums/showthread.php?t=402686)

Salvera 05-07-2022 09:16 AM

Chrome OS - Linux mode

Hi, I have read alot about people that managed to play on there chromebooks. But anyone ever tried to get P99 going on Chrome OS Linux mode ? I ask because Gallium OS isn't working on the one I plan to buy.

Tann 05-08-2022 04:03 PM

I've got a newer Chromebook but haven't really tried getting much stuff running on it, don't think Gallium works on mine either.

In theory following one of the p99 Linux guides should work, like this one on the wiki, but I've not personally tried it.

Salvera 05-25-2022 03:04 PM

Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed ;)

loramin 05-25-2022 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvera (Post 3462364)
Ok - very interesting and exicting. I managed to run p99 on Chrome OS in the standard implemented Linux Crostini. No more experiments needed ;)

If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

If so, that's huge (and I may have to pick up a cheap Chromebook)!

Tann 05-25-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3462441)
If I understand this correctly, you're saying you bought a Chromebook (I'm curious to hear what model) and without installing a new Linux OS you were able to get WINE/EQ working?

All the new Chromebooks support Linux pretty well, specially the Intel ones, you gotta enable a flag setting, no dual boot or separate OS, similar to how you'd run wine in Linux.

Salvera 05-26-2022 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3462441)

Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ). All I had to do was to activate the standard Chrome OS Linux - copy the p99 files into it. Install Wine, and the "middlemand" thing ( to see the servers in the server select) and it worked for me.

loramin 05-26-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvera (Post 3462724)
Exactly, I bought a Lenovo ideapad Flex 5 ( with an I3 Intel ).

Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!

Still, awesome that cheap-er laptops can run EQ now :) Thanks again for sharing.

Salvera 05-27-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Wow, I looked at the price of those and ... /whistle those are regular laptop prices, not Chromebook prices ($750+)!
My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--

loramin 05-27-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salvera (Post 3463055)
My version is not the top configuration - I bought it for $550,--

Ah, good to know.

Vormotus 06-06-2022 05:33 PM

Wow ... this is actually good news to me as well.

Due to work I got a small discretionary budget to buy a laptop and was aiming to get something cheap so I could install lubuntu on it right away but ... a Chromebook now sounds more appealing than ever.

Nice to see people here friendly to Linux :D