Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Warriors. Who tanks with a 2h? (/forums/showthread.php?t=408174)

Troxx 09-18-2022 06:06 PM

Warriors. Who tanks with a 2h?

I tank/dps with:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Frostreaver

I’m bored of the “best 4 man all caster/priest group” in green chat.

Anyone else out there who tanks with a 2h? What are your thoughts and feedback? If I had, say, a willsapper and red epic combo or NTOV trident/red-epic combo … I could test it for myself. Being able to slow shit is it’s own side perk. Unfortunately my only alternative is infestation and frostbringer which is objectively worse for both damage and aggro. I buried that combo a long time ago.

Any raid warriors out there with the above (red epic, WS, and/or Trident) … who has also compared it to a Frostreaver willing to weigh in? For now I lub me some big ass axe on my dwarf warrior. Solid dps; bare minimal ripostes; and aggro that (I think) is about as good as the best duel wield combos out there now that final 2h dmg bonuses are in game and procs are limited to 400 threat + dd for aggro (red epic obvious exception).

I miss 3 procs a min at 255 dex but my experience thus far is that with superior white damage, better dmg bonus application, and main hand triple attack … it just wins.

Let us discuss. I need to be edumacated.

My mind is wide open.

(Allyisha et al I am looking at YOU!)

Troxx 09-18-2022 06:42 PM

I main tanked a fair bit of stuff in my time in AG but haven’t main tanked anything like AoW or Vulak. Midnight mallet back then made all aggro trivial.

I want to hear the thoughts of the seasoned raid tanks currently.

Solist 09-19-2022 12:53 PM

To preface the below:

1. Rogues evade has significantly changed since 2019. It is effectively worthless when compared to it's previous operation.
2. Clicks are not a thing aside from a real emergency, as sceptre of the forlorn is a large timesink so using them is retarded unless it saves a raid.
3. As clicks arent a thing, bumps are too valuable to waste on shit warriors who cant manage aggro properly.

That said, your job is to hold aggro and not die. There's not really a situation on the server with how we play the game that your job can be not that.

It cant be pissing about trying to avoid riposts. Rogues die.
It cant be pissing about worried about lifetaps. DPS die, mob flips.
It cant be pissing about trying to minmax some weird shit. DPS die, mob flips.
It cant be trying to make a clerics life somehow easier. Enchanters die from sieving, mob flips, rogues die, mob gates. ETC.

So feverblade/redblade, or any other combo of the top 10 for each hand. It doesnt matter which, any of the top 10 in either hand is fine.

Pick any of the top 10 aggro weapons. Put either in either hand. Press auto attack. Try to land a totem first, or totems through a weaponshield. Keep auto attack on until a second short of enrage. Re attack after. Spend your mental energy hovering wort pots and your reaper, watching the chain landing and being vocal about your DI status, damage shield status etc. A warrior stays alive, if you're fucking about doing anything but holding aggro and not dieing, you're generally doing it wrong*. Edit: Can also add, some stupid fast engage thats unslowable where noone is actually there but you, your worts, and a cleric or paladin? Sword and board. Ikky pops and there's 2 clerics only? same. etc. Then appropriately build aggro once heals are established. You're also intentionally limiting your aggro so a monk can take aggro and bump if need be in these situations.

As for 2h, they're sublime for controlled aggro generation. A set hate value per unit of time on a non aggro proccing 2h weapon is supurb.

Vyemm 2hs, Eashan 2hs, Vulak 2hs, Kriezenn 2hs, rocksmasher, facesmasher, meldjin are all great examples where your hate/second value is identical, as long as auto attack is on. So you can manage exactly how much hate you're making compared to any warrior with aggro weapons, and compensate with totems accordingly (such as 2nd tank for AoW, Tunare). Knowing the main tank with any of the top 10 weapons in either hand is making in the order of 75hate/second, means you can look at your vyemm 2hs at +-68 hate/sec and be fairly confident you will need to hit totems equal to the tanks initial totems plus one every 45+- seconds to match his aggro. The same can be said for something like horn of hsagra and blue blade but it's a bit too little, you'll lose 5 rogues on a swap or burn 2 bumps.

Actual tanking with a 2h, they just dont have the aggro generation. On HoT mobs, sure after slow swap in epic 2h or frostreaver if you must and it feels good and for some reason you feel like alt tabbing in. Noone is dieing to a flipped hot mob. VS? max aggro. Draco? max aggro. *Some weird circumstance where the raid isnt dps'ing, sure sword and board.

Solist 09-19-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troxx (Post 3507024)
Solid dps; bare minimal ripostes; and aggro that (I think) is about as good as the best duel wield combos out there now that final 2h dmg bonuses are in game

Wrong on all counts, by a large margin.

Tunabros 09-19-2022 12:56 PM

nerd alert

Toxigen 09-19-2022 01:19 PM

Yeah Frostreaver just isn't good enough for raids. As soon as you get willsapper + whatever else its its shelved for eternity.

Feverblade is so damn good.

Allishia 09-19-2022 01:45 PM

I'll use epic 2hander when my disc fades if its a real hard hitting target and we low numbers, or vindi if low clrs Ill use it sometimes..

The only mobs I most of the time start out with 2hand are VS / Draco and that sk epic in city of mist. +evasive. On raid version of VS I'll click scepter a few times if I notice someone attacked before I called assist..

But if you have them, 1handers are way better for getting agro fast, unless lucky chain of procs on the 2hand.

Naethyn 09-19-2022 08:43 PM

If you have a better haste than your group you can hold aggro with a 2h.

Troxx 09-19-2022 09:54 PM

Well well now. I apparently triggered someone somehow without trying.

Solist 09-20-2022 01:49 AM

Alli uses a lot of scepters unnessesarily, and doesnt spend her life 45mins at a time farming them.

During VS you can free cast totems the entire fight as the tank, as nothing is hitting you when runed.