Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Looking for equipment advice (Warrior) (/forums/showthread.php?t=339695)

f2pelerin1182 11-05-2019 09:00 AM

Looking for equipment advice (Warrior)

I'm completely new to EQ, I'm playing a Human Warrior on the Green server.

So far, I've killed many, many decayed skeletons outside Freeport or in North Ro.

I'm level 5 now and I've equipped myself with a cloth armour set, rusty longsword and a round shield. (I bought from the vendor at the Warrior's Guild)

Before I start grouping up and trying to level, I'd like to outfit myself properly (for a beginner anyway) so I'm not a burden - because I've been told Warrior is very gear dependent and I'll need both good AC and a decent weapon to tank.

I've saved up 115pp so far and I intend to buy a full set of banded armour, which apparently can go for 60-90pp.

I was also thinking of buying the kite shield from that same vendor at the Warrior's Guild - is that worth it? (it's like 5pp)

The thing I would like advice on mainly is the weapon, I'm using 1H slashing and I want a magic weapon 'cos apparently I need one in order to hit a lot of enemies.

I've been suggested a combine weapon and I'm thinking of getting the Combine Long Sword - is that a good idea?

Any suggestions, advice etc would be great.

Thanks.

mattil 11-06-2019 05:31 PM

A set of banded armor is a great idea. As for weapons I would see if you can pick up a dragoon dirk or polished granite tomahawk. These are both magical weapons and should be selling pretty cheap from players. Mabye even cheaper than combine weapons. I also wouldn’t worry about magical weapons until about lvl 12, there isn’t anything magical worth hitting until willowwisps.

Danth 11-06-2019 07:18 PM

Combine weapons are hard to go wrong with because they sell back to the vendor (except the staff, apparently) for 90% or better of their original cost. Hence they can be treated like a rental w/ deposit. In the specific case of a Combine Longsword, that means a single Greater Lightstone drop has in effect paid for the weapon.

Banded armor is alright.

Don't bother worrying overmuch about a good shield. Warriors earn Dual Wield at level 13 so by the mid teens you'll either be swinging a 2-hand weapon or two 1-hand weapons for the most part. Unlike some other games, shields are NOT necessary and in fact are only very rarely used at all by Warriors beyond the lowest levels.

Danth

Jimjam 11-07-2019 01:47 AM

There is someone with a thread in the starting zone subforum doing the combines for banded for free if you provide the mats, bringing the cost down to ~35pp instead of 100.

Polished granite tomahawk is a decent weapon for low levels. If you can't find that i'd go for a combine weapon, anything but great staff resells well so you won't lose more than a couple of pp when you out grow it. Two handed sword would be my choice. A couple of store bought axes or picks (cheap vendor weapons with reasonable ratios for what you pay) to practice duel wield once you get it, then back to the 2hs.

f2pelerin1182 11-07-2019 02:20 AM

Thanks.

So I've assumed wrong that 1H and Shield is what I would be wielding?

If the choice is between dual-wielding or a 2H, I would prefer to go the 2H route.

Taking that into consideration, I might just go straight for a Combine Greatsword.

That being the case though, I would't be able to use bash - is that not a problem? Being a human, I'll only have kick.

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it - I'll also go check out the banded thread and look into the mats.

Baler 11-07-2019 02:41 AM

If you hang out in South Karana enough you may happen upon Narra Tanith whom sometimes has Silverish Scimitar 6/22 1h slash magic

No stats on it or proc but it's not a bad starter weapon, atleast in my opinion.