Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Bugs (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Game Mechanics: Pathing in water areas (/forums/showthread.php?t=370023)

Tunabros 10-22-2020 12:13 AM

Pathing in water areas

Hey all,

So the other day I was duoing with a necromancer friend in Oasis and we were killing the deepwater goblins. What I do is pull them and he kills them while I give him regen etc. All good right?

But sometimes I'll pull the mob and it will start attacking me but it's clearly nowhere near me. I even snared it.

Sometimes when I go back up to land after pulling, it will take a while to come up and after waiting a bit...it teleports right on top of me.

Is this a common bug? Does anyone know about this?

Thanks!

mcoy 10-22-2020 07:51 PM

Goblins are archers (https://wiki.project1999.com/A_Deepwater_Goblin). As far as "teleporting" onto you, that's common when mobs get stuck in the world - they're still moving towards you, but they don't look like they are. Then, suddenly they're in melee range so bam your client shows them right on you. Same thing happens with rooted mobs sometimes. You'll root them and they look like they're still running towards you (and then through you and off into the distance) but if you step within melee range of where you rooted them, suddenly there they are.

-Mcoy

Nuggie 10-31-2020 01:10 AM

There is real struggle with z-axis melee range.

Donkey Hotay 11-04-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoy (Post 3197397)
Goblins are archers

I was about to chime in with how the aqua goblins in Dagnor's exhibit the same behavior that OP decries but lo and behold, they too can plunk.

Tunabros 11-04-2020 01:32 PM

oh welp didnt know they were archers but they still teleport to me randomly or take forever to come out

Videri 11-04-2020 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunabros (Post 3204632)
oh welp didnt know they were archers but they still teleport to me randomly or take forever to come out

In regards to your observation of warping: I believe when mobs get stuck on objects or terrain, the game calculates where they would be if they were still walking, but it doesn't move them vertically, only laterally. Then, when it reaches your X, Y position, the game adjusts its Z position to be near yours. So, it's like one of those Shades in Starcraft II, and it's burrowing/floating through the ground until it's under you, and then voila! So it ends up reaching your position in the same amount of time it would have taken if it, you know, swam up and then walked on land.