Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Viability of Non Oger Troll SK discussion and how to equip them (/forums/showthread.php?t=61714)

godbox 01-20-2012 04:41 PM

Viability of Non Oger Troll SK discussion and how to equip them

I love my troll sk's I always played troll Sk's but the grind is getting too much for me as an adult and Im only mid 20's. I remember back on EQ live that DE SKs were super popular as well as erudites I THINK for soloing since obviously troll oger win at late game tanking when there massive sta is the winning.

Anyway I am thinking of rerolling my troll into a DE or eru for purposes of keeping up with the group I play with.
I dont ever expect I will play end game raid type stuff I expect more to play as small groups and solo farm mostly.
Lookin for thoughts or opinions on viability / benefits of small race SK's as soloers/group tanks. Also thought since we have this forum now would be a good place to start keeping some brand newbian info such as this.

p.s. and most importantly has anyone played both big and small Sk's that can comment on noticability of the 40 vs 68% exp penalty (seems noticable to me).

Knuckle 01-20-2012 05:03 PM

jesus christ quit being retarded. it's literally the same exact way, 1handers are always shit unless you absolutely have to bash for a fight or pvp. if thats the case use the shitty bloodmoon off innoruuk untill you can get a ebon mace in kunark. even then you're going to be a sub par piece of shit untill epic.

godbox 01-20-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckle (Post 529214)
jesus christ quit being retarded. it's literally the same exact way, 1handers are always shit unless you absolutely have to bash for a fight or pvp. if thats the case use the shitty bloodmoon off innoruuk untill you can get a ebon mace in kunark. even then you're going to be a sub par piece of shit untill epic.

lol

Grozmok 01-20-2012 05:23 PM

Races in this game don't really mean a whole lot after a certain point.

There are only a few perks that are good levels 1-60.

Infravision
Ultravision
Stun resist (Ogre)

Just to name a few.

Nirgon 02-08-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckle (Post 529214)

The guy making a human warrior?

Szeth 02-08-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grozmok (Post 529244)
Races in this game don't really mean a whole lot after a certain point.

There are only a few perks that are good levels 1-60.

Infravision
Ultravision
Stun resist (Ogre)

Just to name a few.

In Kunark it still matters end game. Also matters where you allocate starting points. The fact that you can max most stats is obvious... It's a matter of getting JUST the minimum of each stat from items so that you can equip hp/mana/resist gear and not lose anything.

Lazortag 02-08-2012 10:15 PM

People really overanalyze the impact of class/race on tanking ability. A gnome ranger (if such an abomination existed) could tank effectively in most non-raid situations because the thing that matters most is aggro-holding ability and having decent ac/hp.

Lishrac 02-09-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazortag (Post 548742)
People really overanalyze the impact of class/race on tanking ability. A gnome ranger (if such an abomination existed) could tank effectively in most non-raid situations because the thing that matters most is aggro-holding ability and having decent ac/hp.

It's just people trying to "win" the game. Play what you like how you like to. If people don't like it get ready to solo a lot or find a group of like minded people.

fischsemmel 02-09-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lishrac (Post 548863)
It's just people trying to "win" the game. Play what you like how you like to. If people don't like it get ready to solo a lot or find a group of like minded people.

Analogy time!

"Waiter, I'm torn between the cheese n' mushroom sirloin and the steak and seafood meals. What do you recommend?"

"Well sir, I really think you're just trying to decide what is best. You should eat what you want. And if your friends here don't approve of your choice in food, you should eat here alone or you should find new friends."

It's a good thing you don't work for tips, Lishrac.

Note the use of the English language employed by the OP:

Quote:

Originally Posted by godbox (Post 529174)
Lookin for thoughts or opinions on viability / benefits of small race SK's as soloers/group tanks. Also thought since we have this forum now would be a good place to start keeping some brand newbian info such as this.

p.s. and most importantly has anyone played both big and small Sk's that can comment on noticability of the 40 vs 68% exp penalty (seems noticable to me).

He wants advice on something very specific, and he even calls attention to a piece of advice that he would MOST appreciate getting. Nowhere did he ask for anyone to tell him to do what he wants to or whether he should find new friends who approve of his choice of entree. In fact, it would be a pretty safe assumption that what he wants is advice on the underlined things above! Whoa buddy!!

OP: your dark elf SK will be able to solo or tank in groups with your friends. Not surprisingly, it will not be AS effective at squeezing the most out of a complete heal or hitting as hard solo, that is unless you have a hell of a lot of PP. However, the difference, while noticable, will not be game-breaking.

Regarding the xp penalty difference? I felt my ogre SK was pretty painful to level by the time he hit 20, even though he had it a bit easier on the xp than your troll. I was mostly solo or duoing with an ogre shaman, and I had spent probably 20k twinking my SK. My bard's xp bar feels to move quite a bit quicker when I kill individual mobs.

I would expect that the extra 28% on that penalty would really, really be painful at 50+, even for someone who makes it to 50 without noticing it.

Since you say that you want to reroll so that you can keep around the same level as your friends with the limited playtime you have, however, I think I would advise AGAINST starting over. Go look at your /played, man. How many hours have you put into your SK already? Think about how long it would take you starting from scratch on a dark elf SK in order to make up for losing that time spent on your troll. How are you going to catch up to your friends with the dark elf AND then keep up with them if you are already having trouble keeping up with them?

Grozmok 02-09-2012 09:53 PM

I'm playing a Troll SK, it's painful but I like the way Trolls are presented in EQ and I happen to enjoy playing villains, so I'm going to stick it out.

I'm sure that once Velious is out and the exp tables are adjusted, there will be a bunch of fair weather Johnson SKs out there, but such is life.