Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Starting Zone (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Clerics on Green (/forums/showthread.php?t=333509)

E-Queue 09-10-2019 11:16 AM

Clerics on Green

A recent post mentioned something about human clerics of Innoruuk having access to a ton of cool items, and it piqued my interest. For Green, I'd been thinking I'd roll up a druid for some casual fun out in the Karanas since they're pretty decent in lower level groups and obviously great soloers. However, I'm now thinking I may want to roll up an evil cleric and hunt down these neat items.

I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic? They're pretty weak soloers on blue, but that's mostly relative to fungi twinks with 1/2 ratio weapons and the like. When gear is pretty bad all around, do they stack up better? Undead nukes are pretty efficient and they can pull, root, stun, etc. Seems like they might not be half bad in a twink-free environment?

Ultimately I'd want to group as much as possible, but I'd like having the option to solo here and there when I'm short on time.

loramin 09-10-2019 11:36 AM

Swish wrote a solo cleric's guide awhile back. It only goes to 50, but so does Green (initially).

The bigger picture is that no, Clerics are not good soloers, at least relative to clases that are traditionally considered "good soloers". Nukes are just a lot less efficient than DoTs or Charms, and other classes that can fear (SKs, Rangers, Necros) can all do more damage while that fear is going. This means soloing clerics will have a lot (more) downtime.

You can solo a cleric; it will just be slower than soloing a Bard/Druid/Enchanter/Magician/Necromancer/Shaman. Heck, they'll even be slower than a Wizard (maybe not at early levels when everyone's a Warrior, but the Wizard nukes are more efficient, and then quadding is even more efficient).

E-Queue 09-10-2019 02:54 PM

Good points all around. Thanks. I kinda knew the answer, but was hoping I was wrong.

I plan to group as much as possible, so it should still be a viable choice, but I'll have to think about it in the meantime.

Jimjam 09-10-2019 03:02 PM

Clerics are good against unrest hags and spectres.

Breaking in to hags is tricky. You can cycle stuns and cancel magic if necessary.

For the spectres you want to use your snare neck and spook undead to eliminate incoming taps/stuns/damage and focus on nuking them down quick.

I am sure there are other low HP undead where you are able to control the risk of adds effectively.

The problem with these spots is they are fairly accessible, so may be camped heavily on green.

Perhaps you can try spectres in OOT instead for your green server spectres?

On blue OOT specs are almost always open. I'd sometimes do them on my wizard back before seafuries got fixed. Often seafury island would get so competitive it was better cash to just kill spectres/gargoyles instead.

Videri 09-10-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Queue (Post 2958440)
I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic?

Quick question, why did you ask if they're good soloers?

Why does anyone ask that about any class?

Why are you guys all preparing to play Everquest solo?

E-Queue 09-10-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 2958623)
Quick question, why did you ask if they're good soloers?

Why does anyone ask that about any class?

Why are you guys all preparing to play Everquest solo?

Quick question, did you read the post?

I said I would like to group as much as possible, but I would also like to have the option to solo a few things when short on time.

Thanks for your contribution.

Videri 09-10-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Queue (Post 2958624)
Quick question, did you read the post?

I said I would like to group as much as possible, but I would also like to have the option to solo a few things when short on time.

Thanks for your contribution.

I confess I stopped reading at the age-old "can i solo" question.

Cleric will be able to solo a few things when short on time. You can also do the ol' wizard tactic of blowing a mana bar and medding afk in a safe spot while doing laundry, lifting weights, practicing bass, etc.

Jibartik 09-10-2019 04:28 PM

Pre kunark a well geared cleric is a BEAST in lower guk. Its actually really really good time to be a cleric. You can solo quite a bit in there with a manastone and a dawnfire!

But without those 2 you are just a regular cleric. With 1 of either you're pretty powerful though.

BUT WITH BOTH YOU ARE AN ARMORED BATTLE PRIEST!

the HOLLY SLAYER OF UNDEAD

It's a very fun time to be one.

I never tried fear kiting in guk with a Regent Symbol of Innoruuk but It would be one hell of an adventure to try to get right ;)

Benanov 09-11-2019 09:55 AM

As a shadowknight who fearkites on the regular, Clinging Darkness is IMO terrible for fearkiting. I usually wait for Engulfing to start in earnest.

IMO, it doesn't last long enough and it doesn't slow movement speed enough. Sure, if you're getting it on a clicky for free, the mana costs aren't an issue, and if it's all you got, you'll use it...but it's not really all that great.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder 09-12-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Queue (Post 2958440)
A recent post mentioned something about human clerics of Innoruuk having access to a ton of cool items, and it piqued my interest. For Green, I'd been thinking I'd roll up a druid for some casual fun out in the Karanas since they're pretty decent in lower level groups and obviously great soloers. However, I'm now thinking I may want to roll up an evil cleric and hunt down these neat items.

I guess my main question is are clerics pretty decent soloers in straight classic? They're pretty weak soloers on blue, but that's mostly relative to fungi twinks with 1/2 ratio weapons and the like. When gear is pretty bad all around, do they stack up better? Undead nukes are pretty efficient and they can pull, root, stun, etc. Seems like they might not be half bad in a twink-free environment?

Ultimately I'd want to group as much as possible, but I'd like having the option to solo here and there when I'm short on time.

I played a cleric and did end game raiding stuff till just after Planes of Power.

Clerics are not good soloers, they are inefficient and slow. Undead is basically the only thing you have a chance with and even then it's not quick.

Bad dmg mitigation considering they wear plate and melee dmg is terrible. Even with a planes of power Tallon Zek proc hammer, hammer pet and the latest melee buffs they are just not good solo.

Much easier to group.