Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Project 1999 on the Steam Deck? Absolutely! (/forums/showthread.php?t=401571)

Mithu 04-11-2022 09:27 PM

Project 1999 on the Steam Deck? Absolutely!

1 Attachment(s)
I recently had the EQ itch again and decided what better device to test it on than the new Steam Deck. After all, it's a full on PC running Linux so why not?

I was actually surprised how easy it was to install and get running via Steam's Proton layer. It functions similar to Wine, but I have had much better luck than traditional attempts at gaming on Linux. What truly amazed me was how effortless and smooth it was. I have not had a single hiccup whatsoever* once I am in game. No stutter, no frame drop, no weird zoning issues thus far. I did not have to apply any weird winetricks or special configs to get it working. I am NOT running WinEQ2, this is native client!

Being that it worked so well, I had to get a bluetooth keyboard/mouse setup that would be easy to travel with. Settled with the Logitech MX Keys Mini + Anywhere 3 seen here and could not be happier. Lightweight, amazing battery life, both USB-C which is also what charges the Deck itself.

It is possible to play via controller/trackpad but I have not spent the time doing the bindings via Steam. Plus, in a group you need to be able to chat and the thumbstick keyboard isn't convenient for that. But in theory you absolutely could!

*The one hiccup I had seems to do with UDP issues with EQ under Linux/Wine. The login server shows no servers available in the list, which can be fixed by Zaela's p99-login-middlemand. I created a systemd service that just runs it on console boot so I don't forget!

I will say this is the absolute perfect EQ-on-the-go experience. I play windowed at 1280x800 (native Deck resolution) with the taskbar set to auto-hide, EQ window border hidden. Makes it easy to lookup stuff while playing.

I have everything set to the maximum settings and it's really power-efficient. It draws between 5-10W of power, giving you an easy 4-7 hours of battery time.

I'm considering throw together a little guide on the process if anyone is interested. Just amazes me a game over 20 years old can run solidly on an OS it was never designed for and be playable to this day.

loramin 04-12-2022 11:13 AM

Neat!

Gozuk 04-12-2022 12:04 PM

Jealous

Tunabros 04-12-2022 01:53 PM

wow

i can finally show my characters to girls when Im at the club

Naethyn 04-12-2022 01:59 PM

Wheres my steamdeck

Jibartik 04-12-2022 02:08 PM

Wow so cool!!!! Oh the places you'll go.

Prismaticshop 04-13-2022 10:41 AM

I NEEDZ THIS

Gustoo 04-13-2022 12:05 PM

Pretty cool.

Shawk 04-16-2022 12:49 AM

sweet

Jibartik 04-16-2022 01:18 AM

I love how they went through all the trouble to make that thing a mobile device and OP just sets it up like a laptop :D