Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Making grouping great again (/forums/showthread.php?t=395883)

Stonewallx39 12-08-2021 11:03 AM

Making grouping great again

Just read a thread in RnF, don’t ask my why I’m a masochist, with a bunch of people sharing (crying) how grouping seems broken on P99.

If incentivizing grouping is the goal, as it should be, the best way to do it would be through manipulating ZEMs and group XP bonus.

Simply increase the group XP bonus substantially something like 25% for two, 50% for 3, 75% for 4, 100% for 5, and 150% for a full group. Then cut all ZEMs in half and watch as Soloers fly into groups.

azxten 12-08-2021 01:21 PM

Make the ZEM classic per the bug report and nerf channeling. Grouping will work out just fine. The only other risk to grouping is jboots and sow pots.

During actual classic when Druid figured out how to kite mobs Brad McQuaid lost his shit and nerfed DoT damage on moving mobs. The game was designed to require grouping for any substantial progress and recreating a more classic rule set will bring back that design. I already see people saying mob casting has to be nerfed because their monk can't interrupt a caster or whatever. No, that is how the game was designed. You needed a group. You were supposed to have a healer as a melee or you just dealt with a much slower progression soloing carefully selected easy mobs in outdoor zones where you wouldn't get trained.

starkind 12-08-2021 01:38 PM

get rid of ZEMs entirely or put negative ZEMs in places with loot so that people only go there for loots and not groups. That would severly limit the number of exp mobs so maybe just flatten out all ZEMs period.

i'm a big proponent of invisibly slow non existant EXP with no exp meter and forced /rol so u have to actually talk to someone to find out how powerful they are and test your abilities vs npcs. Hide that stuff, we don't need ppl thinking about exp while they roleplay.

Tunabros 12-08-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azxten (Post 3396653)
Make the ZEM classic per the bug report and nerf channeling. Grouping will work out just fine. The only other risk to grouping is jboots and sow pots.

During actual classic when Druid figured out how to kite mobs Brad McQuaid lost his shit and nerfed DoT damage on moving mobs. The game was designed to require grouping for any substantial progress and recreating a more classic rule set will bring back that design. I already see people saying mob casting has to be nerfed because their monk can't interrupt a caster or whatever. No, that is how the game was designed. You needed a group. You were supposed to have a healer as a melee or you just dealt with a much slower progression soloing carefully selected easy mobs in outdoor zones where you wouldn't get trained.

and everyone laughed

Stonewallx39 12-08-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azxten (Post 3396653)

That would make the game less fun. You don’t like fun, or is that just enjoy ruining other peoples fun?

Jibartik 12-08-2021 04:01 PM

I cant believe this game doesn't have a base exp bonus to make pugging categorically better than soloing or at least equal to it.

It's like the entire point of this game haha

loramin 12-08-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 3396723)
I cant believe this game doesn't have a base exp bonus to make pugging categorically better than soloing or at least equal to it.

There is an XP bonus for grouping ... it's just small (except on Red).

Jimjam 12-08-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

I think the logic is the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, which is probably true in theory if you don't consider resource scarcity nor social loafing.

cd288 12-08-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

I don’t think they fully appreciated how players would find ways to use the toolkit of a class to solo.

I would be supportive of P99 adding a solid group experience bonus. Would make things much more fun.

Az acts like nerfing channeling is going to somehow make soloing impossible. It really won’t as long as you’re attentive and give yourself enough space from the mob for root or charm breaks lol.

eqravenprince 12-08-2021 05:05 PM

I would like a bump in group experience. When grouping, the exp seems super slow compared to solo.