Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Troll SK (/forums/showthread.php?t=340574)

ajdes 11-11-2019 05:18 PM

Troll SK

So given that there is a year before Kunark, I have a sadistic desire to play a Troll SK, mostly because what else are you going to do for a year if you burn through an easy char in 1-2 months?

My question is, is there any reward to this endeavor? How good are SK's in classic? I know they can tank in groups, but are they capable soloers? What level do they come into their own? Is decent gear easily obtainable (enchanters start farming mithril two-handers soon right)?

Graahle 11-11-2019 05:26 PM

Just prepare for exp pain to be honest. Troll SK is like my spirit animal in the macrocosm of gaming for me. They are just dead sexy and quite a statement character/class combination.

But even back on Red where the base experience rate is higher I contemplated jumping out my second story window while leveling to 52 before the hybrid exp penalty was removed. It's that bad. Some will say otherwise and some.

The reward for maxing a Troll SK in classic is ultimate flex rights. You will have no problem getting groups right now because you're an aggro monster. They can solo DECENTLY with the fear/feign death/troll regen combo, but it's a massive slog. Just group as much as possible.

Bazia 11-11-2019 05:32 PM

SKs like lustrous russet armor and trolls like guise so if your gonna do an SK now is a good time

SKs are good in classic at the same stuff they are always good at, tanking anything other than dragon and gods and pulling with FD

Troll regen with FD is great too

ajdes 11-11-2019 06:19 PM

additional question, one starting guide recommends putting 20 points in INT and another guide says 20 points in STA. How important is an SK's mana pool?

Pilgrimzero 11-11-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdes (Post 3021171)
additional question, one starting guide recommends putting 20 points in INT and another guide says 20 points in STA. How important is an SK's mana pool?

Your spells are weak and dont cost a lot of mana. Summon a pet and both go hack and slash. I say Stamina all the way

Fawqueue 11-11-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdes (Post 3021171)

Do 10 into each and you won't feel like you wholly neglected either.

Zill 11-11-2019 11:06 PM

If you don't do drugs, take them up. Numbing your grip on reality is probably the best/only way to get through the horrible hell grind.

Gatorsmash 11-12-2019 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fawqueue (Post 3021525)
Do 10 into each and you won't feel like you wholly neglected either.

^ this right here. If you go all STA you will have mana issues post 40 and maybe sooner when you solo till velius gear

I love reliving the first days of EQ on my troll sk, even seen Faw around but just be warned the xp penalty is like pulling a car behind you.

TheDudeAbides 11-12-2019 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajdes (Post 3021083)
So given that there is a year before Kunark, I have a sadistic desire to play a Troll SK, mostly because what else are you going to do for a year if you burn through an easy char in 1-2 months?

My question is, is there any reward to this endeavor? How good are SK's in classic? I know they can tank in groups, but are they capable soloers? What level do they come into their own? Is decent gear easily obtainable (enchanters start farming mithril two-handers soon right)?

If you roll Troll SK

Dump every starting point into INT

If you don't, you're going to have serious mana issues at 50

Trust me - I've been there. Just do it and thank me later

ajdes 11-12-2019 04:13 AM

well I started my journey through hell. got level 2, some cloth armor, and a few bags.

fwiw I put 15 points in INT and 5 points in DEX. I dug through some old posts which highlighted that dex is fairly important for lifetap procs and relatively low compared to str/sta on a troll. The INT is self explanatory, as I do plan to solo a bit.