Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Classic EQ didn't allow names with triple letters...right? (/forums/showthread.php?t=334112)

Videri 09-17-2019 06:41 PM

Classic EQ didn't allow names with triple letters...right?

I recently saw a character named Fxaaaaaaaaa or something similar. As I recall, EQ wouldn't let you create a character with triple letters in its name, such as "aaa" or "xxx" or any of the same letter three times in a row.

1. Does anyone else remember whether this is true? It's possible I'm simply wrong and I somehow imagined it. Maybe I tried to make a character called Braaad (for example), but someone had already used that name, and I assumed it was due to the triple letter.

2. Is there any way to verify whether this was the case in classic? A quick Google revealed no results. I doubt anyone would have written about this on their Everquest blog. Perhaps by searching an extensive list of verified classic names, we could deduce the truth. Does such a list exist?

3. Would P99 ever adopt the same restriction if evidence were found? I heard there were literally over a million characters here. I don't know why we haven't already run out of names.

Gustoo 09-17-2019 06:48 PM

No Live did not allow names with ONLY 3 letters like ROY or KAZ

Lots of names like Illlaliiiiiixxxxab

Jibartik 09-17-2019 07:21 PM

I feel like there had to have been a name purge at some point in the last few years.

I see new players with names like Twonare

How the heck are you going to get Twonare 10 years into this EMU ?

I think something fishy going on https://i.imgur.com/4jSz0Of.png

Lojik 09-17-2019 07:43 PM

There was a wizard on p99 for a while named Xou. Not sure how they managed that, not sure i saw any other 3 letter names.

Videri 09-17-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustoo (Post 2962692)
No Live did not allow names with ONLY 3 letters like ROY or KAZ

Ah. I actually don't mean three-letter names. I mean names that have three of the same letter in a row.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustoo (Post 2962692)
Lots of names like Illlaliiiiiixxxxab

WHAT! Really? Oh.

Videri 09-17-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoraliser (Post 2962693)
OP
is
MAD

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

:mad:

Crylol 09-17-2019 09:36 PM

I'm still booty hurt about them renaming my halfling dap druid from 'Fascist Piglet' Tsicsfa because someone got triggered AF after the 2016 election. [Druid had name since wayy before] 99% sure triple letter names outside of xxx were allowed on live.

joppykid 09-17-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 2962748)
Ah. I actually don't mean three-letter names. I mean names that have three of the same letter in a row.

I think he knew what you meant and was implying you were confusing the two with each other.

Videri 09-17-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joppykid (Post 2962775)
I think he knew what you meant and was implying you were confusing the two with each other.

Oh. But I wasn't. Obviously the game doesn't ordinarily let you create 3-letter names. I've seen a couple since starting on P99 blue recently; not sure how they achieved that.

But no, I'm talking about names like Fzzzt (three Zs in a row) and Gheee (three Es in a row). I believe these names were not allowed in classic and I'm looking for corroboration.

Bardp1999 09-18-2019 12:27 AM

RIP Cockfight, you made it all the way to level 52 and sat in Naggys lair for a year before they purged your glorious name.