Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   News & Announcements (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Simulated Respawns (/forums/showthread.php?t=282318)

Skew 10-05-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ella`Ella (Post 2589227)
What a time to be alive!

:D

Toomuch 10-05-2017 10:53 AM

Wait, are we talking completely random? Or random within reason?

Because if there's a repop on the 10th of the month at 10:30 am, and then the second repop of the month is ... on the 10th of the month at 10:55 am... well, that's kind of "classic", and kind of not. Generally, Verant/SoE would take a little bit longer to figure out something was wrong, re-code it/remove it/fix it, then reboot.

I don't want to over-complicate things for Devs, because this new development is absolutely outstanding (it means that me, as a bard in a more casual guild, might actually have some slim chance of getting my epic without buying it outright!), but could I be so bold as to suggest that there be at least 24 hours between all random repops? That would mean that repop #1 would also need to be, at the latest, something like 48 hours before the end of the month (so that repop #2 could be, at the latest, 24 hours before the end of the month).

With this 24 hour buffer in place, the craziest scenario I can think of is as follows: if the stars were perfectly aligned, the first repop would be 48 hours before the end of the month. The second repop would be 24 hours later, which is also 24 hours before the end of the month. The new month then starts, and the first repop of the month happens right away, 24 hours after the last repop. Finally, the second repop of that new month happens 24 hours after the last one. In total, 4 "mostly random" repops in 96 hours, thus allowing guilds, especially some of the lucky casual guilds, to benefit from it, and snatch up some lewts they'd otherwise not get a crack at.

Without that 24 hours buffer in place, there's the ever-so-slim chance that it goes more along the lines as follows: first random repop happens at 11:58pm (23:58) on last day of the month, second random repop happens at 11:59 pm (23:59) on last day of the month, first repop of the new month happens at 12:01 am (00:01) on first day of the new month, and second repop of the new month happens at 12:02 am (00:02). In total, 4 "completely random" repops in 5 minutes, effectively making it 1 "useful" random repop in 2 months.

I guess I'm kind of assuming that this is an automated process. If it's not automated, then there will probably be a little bit of "random within reason" added in. If it is indeed going to be automated, please consider the 24 hour buffer suggestion :).

Nommis 10-05-2017 11:44 AM

Count me in.

https://i.imgur.com/Q7zu4TT.gif

Naethyn 10-05-2017 11:46 AM

Thank you

Zade 10-05-2017 03:04 PM

Nilbog you need to take the server down for 6 hours prior to pushing the repop button. classic af

malbadon 10-05-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zade (Post 2589708)
Nilbog you need to take the server down for 6 hours prior to pushing the repop button. classic af

Yes! Yes!

So we can all sit in the chat channel (or as we call it now, discord) hoping to be the first ones in and racing the second it comes up!

I loved the "where's my refund, I pay for this" rants during live downtime.

ErlickBachman 10-05-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrocat (Post 2589202)
Good luck with ring/scout rolls XD

But seriously this is a great change to make the server more classic, thanks nilbog!

RIP and good riddance to that goofy shit. All Scout rolls did was create more drama. Server is better without it.

Pyrocat 10-05-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErlickBachman (Post 2589738)
RIP and good riddance to that goofy shit. All Scout rolls did was create more drama. Server is better without it.

I think you misconstrued my comment. Scout rolls actually prevent a lot of drama from the spam-click-fest bullshit that came before it. I'm sure the scout rolling will continue, it's just going to be harder to get a timer.

Savok 10-05-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrocat (Post 2589741)
I think you misconstrued my comment. Scout rolls actually prevent a lot of drama from the spam-click-fest bullshit that came before it. I'm sure the scout rolling will continue, it's just going to be harder to get a timer.

Not really. Its easy to get the timer of repop and add 10 hours, just turn up 30 mins early.

SiouxNation 10-05-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zade (Post 2589708)

I believe our time was worth far less back then, so due to inflation I am suggesting this 6 hour window be reduced by atleast 50%. I think this number is generous if you base it on what we were all earning in 1999 vs today.