Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Tanks (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Warrior race (/forums/showthread.php?t=196335)

Kelor 06-02-2015 07:56 AM

Warrior race

Hi there.
How does Ogre compare to Iksar in Velious for Warrior? will Iksar overtake Ogre as the best race? Thanks.

Swish 06-02-2015 08:04 AM

"Frontal stun immunity" is probably the John 3:16 of the P99 forums. If you're intent on min/maxing there's no substitute for an ogre but with Velious armor and the AC bonus its hard to put an iksar anything lower than second in the min/max stakes.

Honestly though, as a former cleric its not a huge deal whether you're healing a gnome warrior or an ogre one. If you don't min/max but are conscious of a HP difference, carry a stack of peridots with you and fund your own symbols - it helps the cleric's mana pool a bit in the long term and covers your ass if you have one that's an alt-tabber.

How often is frontal stun immunity a game changer to a warrior? How many deaths are caused by having a tank that doesn't have frontal stun immunity? ;)

Pipip 06-02-2015 08:29 AM

Iksar are clearly in the lead on style points

Daldaen 06-02-2015 08:36 AM

Frontal Stun Immunity doesn't help a warrior.

Getting stunned just means you swing a bit less and get riposted a bit less. If you are using clickies properly, your aggro should be just fine without it. Unless you have derpy monks who can't FD or Rogues who can't evade or wizards who didn't quest Concussion. Even then, frontal stun immunity won't save those people. You can't fix stupid as they say.

Samoht 06-02-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pipip (Post 1918851)
Iksar are clearly in the lead on style points

Second only to halfling.

Lorian 06-02-2015 09:20 AM

How is a Dark Elf in Velious? Will the armour be able to compensate for the physical shortcomings? Because nothing in the game looks remotely as cool as a dual wielding dark elf in full plate! :)

Champion_Standing 06-02-2015 09:29 AM

If you want style points wood elf is the only way to go.

Baler 06-02-2015 09:44 AM

@ OP people are going to say Ogre, hands down.
Iksar do have higher AC total endgame in velious however.

After that style points, Ogres are big, ugly, dumb and stinky. -4
Iksar are only scaly and stinky. -2
Iksar is best between those two choices.

wormed 06-02-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daldaen (Post 1918854)
Frontal Stun Immunity doesn't help a warrior.

Getting stunned just means you swing a bit less and get riposted a bit less. If you are using clickies properly, your aggro should be just fine without it. Unless you have derpy monks who can't FD or Rogues who can't evade or wizards who didn't quest Concussion. Even then, frontal stun immunity won't save those people. You can't fix stupid as they say.

I think your first sentence is a little biased. It definitely does help a warrior. Is it game breaking? No. However, as someone who has had a warrior and did some of the tanking for my guild, it really depends on how good your guild is also. Getting stuck into an instant melee stun always sucks and if your guild jumps the gun, it can be a huge pain the ass.

Aside from that though, you can tank almost everything just as effectively with any race.

Dwarf Warrior forever.

eisley 06-02-2015 10:32 AM

depends how the combat system is done here. This is not live.

on live, during velious era, there was a relatively low AC hardcap for each class - i believe warrior was 289 worn? I've got that number stuck in my head for some reason, but anyhow this info was posted officially somewhere years back, along with some other dev insider "secrets" such as sro ancient cyclops & vaniki spawn mechanics, two highly speculated mobs, as well as some other info. Was very interesting, I'll try to dig it up. Vaniki's being particularly hilarious - essentially a mob that should've been super rare, but oops - the constant server resets dunked that idea. I am very curious to see how it's handled here. But I digress..

What this meant is that once the cap was reached, the only way to improve your tanking ability was to be an iksar, equipment being equal. I remember it being a "big deal" on live, but probably overreaction. My Velious era live guild had warriors of all different races, our "MT" was a halfling, although the name of the game back then was warrior stacking. Warriors are needed, race not being an issue - being able to press /disc def being the issue =)