Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cleric or Shaman? (/forums/showthread.php?t=3030)

VincentVolaju 02-15-2010 10:10 PM

Cleric or Shaman?

Hey all, so I started playing here with a friend of mine. He made a warrior and I made a Cleric, we figured since this is player run server there prob wouldnt be a very big server population so we might as well pick the 2 things needed to make any group work... a tank and healer.

Were still low level atm and I have been reading alot about Shaman being the best duo w/ melee characters.

So I was wandering ... what are the main difference between Cleric and Shaman? How are the shamans heals compared to a Clerics? Which is needed more / more of a "must have" in a group, Cleric or Shaman? Are there more Clerics or Shamans on the server?

I figured I should ask here on the forums and get as many opinions as I could before I make up my mind on if I should or shouldnt reroll shaman.

THANKS ALL!!!

Otis 02-15-2010 10:21 PM

Well as far as I know, here's how the healing classes rank in regards to healing power:
1). Cleric
2). Druid
3). Shaman

However, Shamans get abilities that melee classes like such as: Slow, Buffs, SoW, etc. Plus, Shamans can off-tank in a pinch at lower levels.

Taminy 02-15-2010 10:23 PM

For duoing, warrior/shaman is much better than warrior/cleric.

As for which would be more desirable in a full group, it's about even. Maybe a slight nod to the cleric.

President 02-15-2010 10:27 PM

I found that a lot of the time when making groups at lower levels, I could survive a group with 1 cleric, but 1 druid or 1 shaman was rough. I would generally get 2 druids, 1 druid/1 shaman, 2 shamans or something like that if I couldn't find a cleric. It definitely becomes a lot more noticeable once clerics get complete heal. Your XP group will be hands down better if you only need to rely on 1 healer instead of 2. Resurrect will also be invaluable at later levels.

The shaman may be considered more of a fun class, and a more soloable class (buff, heal, debuff, slow, dps, sow, etc.) whereas a cleric you are basically going to buff/heal and that's about it.

Either way I don't think the combo of a warrior/shaman or warrior/cleric is really going to be that good at duoing. If you are wanting a warrior, then plan to group (or at least add dps and be a trio+) and I would suggest sticking with the cleric.

EDIT* war/shm war/clr won't be good at duoing unless you can afford fbss yakx2

VincentVolaju 02-15-2010 10:36 PM

Well we pretty much only really play the characters when were both online, so I will always be grouped with the warrior because we want to stay same level.

It sounds like in a group a Cleric is better because the heals are much stronger. What we wanted to do was pick the 2 most important class's, so we can make groups faster/easier, because its always much easier to fill in DPS and CC once you the tank/healer.

I guess if I went Shaman, I would be more of a buffer/debuffer with off heals, so we would still need to find a healer for the group anyway, right?

So far I am leaning on just sticking with the Cleric just because we can make just about any group work with a warrior / cleric combo ... I guess it isnt the same way for a Shaman though?

Does anyone know which class is more popular on the server?

Otis 02-15-2010 10:38 PM

As an aside, make sure your Warrior gets some good weapons. Taunt is screwy on this server, so weapon procs are very important.

President 02-15-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VincentVolaju (Post 20713)
Well we pretty much only really play the characters when were both online, so I will always be grouped with the warrior because we want to stay same level.

It sounds like in a group a Cleric is better because the heals are much stronger. What we wanted to do was pick the 2 most important class's, so we can make groups faster/easier, because its always much easier to fill in DPS and CC once you the tank/healer.

I guess if I went Shaman, I would be more of a buffer/debuffer with off heals, so we would still need to find a healer for the group anyway, right?

So far I am leaning on just sticking with the Cleric just because we can make just about any group work with a warrior / cleric combo ... I guess it isnt the same way for a Shaman though?

Does anyone know which class is more popular on the server?

There does seem to be a lack in shamans at higher levels, but if you are wanting to have the core classes to start groups, cleric/warrior is going to be it. And, you are never going to get turned down from a guild because you are a cleric....

VincentVolaju 02-15-2010 10:43 PM

Ive never really played EQ much, or raided for that matter. Are Clerics more useful in raids or groups? Or is there not much difference between the 2?

President 02-15-2010 10:50 PM

They are going to be useful in both. Shamans big raid usefulness is debuff/slow, but that can be done in most raids by a couple shamans if not 1. Larger & complete heals will always be useful in groups or raids. Later on once we start hitting Kunark and Velious, we will more than likely start seeing the 4-5 cleric CH rotation come back to life.

Taminy 02-15-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 20711)
EDIT* war/shm war/clr won't be good at duoing unless you can afford fbss yakx2

FBSS + yakx2 isn't needed for duoing.

FBSS + decent weapon(s) even fairly cheap ones would work fine for duoing, or a mith2h. Still expensive though of course.