Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Planes, best classes to go? (/forums/showthread.php?t=327660)

Budder 06-11-2019 06:43 PM

Planes, best classes to go?

Not close to going to the planes yet but was wondering what a good class would be to go and score some good loot? Obviously clerics, enchanters and warriors are needed but what else would be good that some less popular classes could benefit that may otherwise rot on the planes mobs. Just wondering is all

loramin 06-11-2019 06:57 PM

Not Shaman. As Shaman there's really only two items unique to the planes:
  • the (2 charge) Feign Death ring from Plane of Sky
  • the Iksar Child's Tear from Plane of Fear
A very healthy percentage of Shaman (even those who raid the planes) get that last item by buying a MQ of it, and as fun as the FD ring is it's far from a necessity.

For Shaman everything else in the planes (or at least the old ones; I'm not counting PoM) is just stats gear, with better options available in Kunark and Velious.

But as for who should go? I know those Plane of Sky haste belts are popular with a lot of folks, and of course plenty of people have epic pieces (which aren't easily purchasable as MQs) from the planes. If you're a class that needs one of those things odds are good you won't have too much competition for them, especially if you play a less popular class.

DromalPhrenia 06-11-2019 06:59 PM

IIRC knights can offtank in planes just fine. Worth noting that as far as I know, no-one really goes into fear for fear, they're either pulling the golems when they pop, or massacring the entire zone via kites and aoes. A few guilds do clear content in hate though (Omni is hosting a daytime Hate Raid this Wednesday I think)

I wouldn't necessarily recommend PLAYING a knight class but they're very rare so there's not much competition for their exclusive loot. Obviously things that can be worn or used by other plate wearers / melee classes will complicate that.

I do see more SK's than Paladins, if that helps. There's really very few 60 paladins around.

Legidias 06-11-2019 07:03 PM

Iksar warrior. Warriors get good sky drops, iksars get phenomenal PoH drops. Everyone can use PoF and PoG stuff. You can even put PoM stuff to use.

DromalPhrenia 06-11-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2922952)
A very healthy percentage of Shaman (even those who raid the planes) get that last item by buying a MQ of it, and as fun as the FD ring is it's far from a necessity.

Oh I didn't even think about Plane of Sky. The clicky ranger haste cloak is often cited as a must-have items by Rangers, so add that to the list. The 200 Range Bow is also pretty slick. The Wizard Sky Port Clicky Necklace is kinda handy but not amazing. Aaaand... yeah other than that I think it's just the 41% haste belts.

Budder 06-11-2019 10:01 PM

Excellent info and advice. Thank you! I’m currently playing a 19 Druid and level slow as hell do to real life with work and family and all. I had a 54 Ranger on Bristlebane 1999-2002. Love the class so was wondering how they are now? Sounds like a paladin would be a good bet. Love the haste items too!

baakss 06-11-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2922952)

For Shaman everything else in the planes (or at least the old ones; I'm not counting PoM) is just stats gear, with better options available in Kunark and Velious.

But as for who should go? I know those Plane of Sky haste belts are popular with a lot of folks, and of course plenty of people have epic pieces (which aren't easily purchasable as MQs) from the planes. If you're a class that needs one of those things odds are good you won't have too much competition for them, especially if you play a less popular class.

You don't like that ranged shaman +5 sv all item from POH?

loramin 06-12-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baakss (Post 2923072)
You don't like that ranged shaman +5 sv all item from POH?

I actually hadn't seen that (Spiritguard): it was in the wiki but didn't have the Plane of Hate category, so I fixed it.

It's pretty nifty. But if you're rocking say a Talisman of Benevolence you've already got almost as much (24 vs. 25) total + to resists, plus of course a lot better stats overall, so I'm not sure Spiritguard is that special. It's certainly a great addition to a set of resist gear.

And similarly there are other good items for Shaman in the planes. Who couldn't use a pair of those +30 fire resist gloves from Sky, for instance?

I'm just saying that, unless you count the stuff that drops off Cazic or Innothule, there's just not a whole lot that's truly unique/special. Thanks to the expansions Shaman can get great gear lots of other places so I just don't see them as being as motivated to go the the planes as other classes.

But if they do go there certainly can be stuff worth looting :)

Moerne 06-12-2019 11:56 AM

Cleric for Hate and Sky certainly. The cleric armor from hate is usually an upgrade for most non-twinks, and the healer's earring from the 2nd floor definitely is.

The cleric shoulders from Sky are a very common drop, one raid and you'll probably have them, yet they are one of best cleric items out there if you aren't in a high end raid guilds, possibly even BIS depending on how your wisdom/mana is sitting.

Legidias 06-12-2019 01:30 PM

All that +INT cleric hate armor lol