Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Necro or enchanter...Go! (/forums/showthread.php?t=139784)

Arterian 02-16-2014 07:32 PM

Necro or enchanter...Go!

I've played a necro since day one of live back in 99. I'm extremely fond of feign death, a semi powerful pet and the overall fun stuff a skilled necro can pull off. I also think necros look like bosses. My nec here is currently 40.

I just started a baby enc who is currently 15. Charm is fun...although at times I want to pull my hair out with breaks. It is also annoying to afk without fd.

At 60 how much stronger in soloing are enc than nec? I really enjoy complex skillful soloing indoors which is what has drawn me to an enc. They seem to be able to pull off stuff even necros couldn't dream of. The solo challenge is barely touched by necros.

Thoughts?

element08 02-16-2014 07:55 PM

Play the necro, attempt to complete all solo challenges

Tetrian 02-16-2014 08:24 PM

I agree with element. Also this server is kind of flooded with enchanters. It might not show too much during leveling, but its a popular class and its shows on the amount of 60 enc out there.

And while its true that chanters "can" pull off some amazing stunts - It often comes down to luck and available mobs. If those two arent present, its either not doable, or catastrophic failure follows.

A necro has alot more leeway manipulating the numbers and making it happen - and frankly, in my eyes, can do alot more, in more situations.

But as anyone else will tell you - pick the class you would enjoy the most =)

Uteunayr 02-16-2014 09:15 PM

Enchanter will get you into groups a lot better than being a Necromancer will, which is useful if you ever want to switch it up.

However, that said, you can still be a very effective Necromancer in groups, you just need to adjust your play style, and know that if you are a good Group Necro, you're fighting against a server of players who have bad experience after bad experience with Necromancers in groups, who see us as a waste. So, while you can be great in a group, you're always going to have to prove that you're one of the better ones.

Necros can solo a good bit of stuff. Shamans, IIRC, become the best soloers in Velious, but Enchanter/Necro is definitely up in the air between. Enchanter is able to break larger rooms easier, with mez and all that fun stuff, but Necromancer has a lot more soloing style variety that they can pull from.

If you decide to go Necro, or want an idea of what leveling a Necro is like, and the soloing strategies we use (charming is one of the later game styles), read my guide here:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Uteunayr...Strategy_Guide

At the beginning of each level section, Fear Kiting, Root Rotting, and Charming, I give a long detailed explanation as to the mechanics of each style, and what it is like. It should give you a good idea of the variety you will have at your hands as a Necromancer.

Swish 02-17-2014 12:29 AM

More often than not lately I've seen mid 50s necros LFG in Sebilis, who advertise and even state "I don't suck"... rough times though, its a shame Seb doesn't have some easy access undead mobs to charm :p

I suppose the way to look at it is... if you like groups and want to be invited to groups as soon as you log on, roll an enchanter.

If you enjoy playing at your own pace, mostly solo... roll a necromancer.

Uteunayr's necro guide is probably the best of all the guides I've read.

Tecmos Deception 02-17-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetrian (Post 1324418)
I agree with element. Also this server is kind of flooded with enchanters. It might not show too much during leveling, but its a popular class and its shows on the amount of 60 enc out there.

And while its true that chanters "can" pull off some amazing stunts - It often comes down to luck and available mobs. If those two arent present, its either not doable, or catastrophic failure follows.

A necro has alot more leeway manipulating the numbers and making it happen - and frankly, in my eyes, can do alot more, in more situations.

But as anyone else will tell you - pick the class you would enjoy the most =)

Imo attributing things to luck is setting yourself up for failure.

It's not luck that I spend a long time in south without having to hat, it's the fact that I cleared out the higher-level casters and HT mobs from the spawn I'm farming so that even if I get "bad luck" with a crit lull aggroing the whole room, I can survive it! It's not luck when I find a rare mob up as soon as I log in, it's the fact that I log out in/near HS almost every time I log out, so it's only a matter of time before I log in and have a fluid sitting there waiting for me with a hoop. It's not luck surviving 3 charm breaks in a row, it's the fact that I refreshed my rune right before because I knew it had been hit a few times even though it wasn't down yet + I refreshed bedlam even though it still had a few min of duration left. Stuff like that.

Yeah, there IS some luck in the game. But proper preparation and a lot of playtime make it look like you are way luckier than average when luck really had little/nothing to do with it.

In terms of leveling up, necros have more solo variety and probably similar overall power. In groups enchanters get the nod, but a necro who knows what to do in groups is solid for sure (just underrated by most people). At 60 the enchanter is more powerful and more versatile, imo.

Necros seem more versatile because they CAN charm, and they CAN use EoT, and they CAN root+rot, and they CAN fear kite. But how often can you really use all of those in a high-end situation? Necros aren't kiting in dungeons (too little room), root+rotting 51+ mobs (because they summon), or letting EoT tank unslowed 50+ stuff (it gets raaaaaped). So necros can charm, and chanters can charm. But chanters have tash, stuns, mezzes, slow to help them charm. Necro tools are awesome, but they are tricky to use effectively, and they don't have many tools to help them continue a fight if charm breaks... they need to feign and reset the fight and try again. And while it isn't fun, Zumaik's can kill level 54 mobs (I killed crypt excavator with Zumaiks a month or so ago - it took most of my mana and like 12 minutes, but it was also 99.99% safe!). EoT? I dunno. I watched an EoT get eaten by a 50% slowed trash mob (might have been 70% even, can't remember which one I cast) in HS east when I was duoing with a necro once as he was dotting + healing.

All that said, the alt of mine I get the most excited about is a necro! One of these days I hope to work on the solo challenge with him :)

justin2090 02-17-2014 09:55 AM

Necros mez too. Don't know how effective it is at 60 but I healed (dispel recourse) and CC'd stables in CoM on my necro at 45ish. The necro heal at that lvl is super efficient. Not to mention my pet was killing things as well. I could of charmed something but really no need to.

I did solo stables some with charming and it wasn't very hard at all. Since necro can heal himself there is little worry of taking dmg on charm breaks. Circlet of Shadows is insta click charm break so it's a must have. And of coarse if things go south there is always FD.

And more importantly Necros can be Iksars!

I think the choice is clear.

Tecmos Deception 02-17-2014 10:35 AM

Necros are very strong when leveling, for sure. And they are still very strong at 60. But they aren't as powerful as a chanter, imo, because their spells, mana pool, and mana regen don't scale up enough to handle the 10k+ hp mobs that hit for 144+ (and summon) that you need to kill in dungeons for good loot.

I think necros can solo most of what enchanters can solo, but I think it takes more finesse and more effort and more time. I have never actually seen a necro successfully solo anything like hs south or crypt though... so maybe not? That's why I want to level my necro! So I can find out :)

Sturgeon 02-17-2014 11:06 AM

Necro fo sho

The solo challenge here which hasn't been updated lately but logs everything is fun and gives you something to strive for on P99 if you don't feel like dealing with the QQ over End Game Raiding with Guild Butthurts.

Blazingtide 02-17-2014 01:41 PM

Just my two cents

I played a necro to 55 and then Rolled an enchanter. My enchanter is now 60 and my necro is still 55.

As far as soloing goes, my enchanter has killed any enjoyment I had in soloing with my necro. I don't feel like there is any situation where root rotting or fear kiting (the two solo methods a necro excels at more than an enchanter) would be more efficient than charm burning with my enchanter. Maybe I'm just doing my necro wrong, like I said. Just my opinion. I happen to love charming so this doesn't bother me.

Other thing is fd. Yes this is an awesome ability but it also feels semi bugged or not as useful as I remember it from live. Constantly having issue with roamers and mobs not resetting and clearing agro like they should kinda sucks.

In return the enchanters get stuns mezzes and blurs. You won't truly understand how much enchanters win this trade until 56 when your level immune to ae mez. Giving up fd to have access to these other tools is a trade I'm more than willing to make. Yes necrosis get a mez but it really doesn't compare to the mezzes an enchanted gets.

All that said, to each his own. Necros are an awesome and in my opinion and underrated class. Being in a group with 4 rogues and a monk in kc with my necro was amazing. I was heals and cc. The exp flew by.

My best advice is take a look at the complete kit of each class and then decide based on what abilities they get. I made my choice and I don't regret it. Be the best player you can be and whichever you choose you'll be able to shine as that class.

-hainynx