Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Dark Themes for Wiki (/forums/showthread.php?t=415191)

Meulaar 02-14-2023 09:51 AM

Dark Themes for Wiki

Any chance we can get some dark themes for wiki? I get blasted from my second monitor.

HTML Code:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:DavidL/DarkTheme
If you all need Dev help, I can provide resume and references.

Cheers,
~Matt
Nummen on Green

Kavious 02-14-2023 11:14 AM

There are browser extensions to make sites dark. Firefox has Dark Reader, Chrome has Dark Theme and may possibly be others as well

loramin 02-14-2023 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavious (Post 3573364)
There are browser extensions to make sites dark. Firefox has Dark Reader, Chrome has Dark Theme and may possibly be others as well

This.

The problem is, A) what you linked might have issues with our (old) version of the MediaWiki software, and B) it would change the wiki for everyone (ie. it wouldn't be a "dark mode", it'd be permanent darkness for all).

It is possible to add a (true) dark mode to the wiki though. It would take someone who knows CSS writing a new CSS file, or modifying and testing that guy's (it has almost 2500 lines of code, so starting fresh might actually be easier than tweaking/testing his file). Either way, the new file would need to use the prefer-color-scheme media query, to only show the styles with dark mode turned on in their browser.

If anyone wants to make/test such a file I'll happily add it to the wiki ... but Kavious's suggestion of just using a browser extension is probably going to be a lot easier.

gkmarino 02-14-2023 02:45 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LfZ5d9G1n4JTS3f29

arc 03-12-2023 02:09 PM

adding a new skin wouldn't "change the wiki for everyone"

only for people who selected the dark skin

Meulaar 03-12-2023 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kavious (Post 3573364)

Thank you!

loramin 03-12-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 3587877)
adding a new skin wouldn't "change the wiki for everyone"

only for people who selected the dark skin

Did you just stop reading in the middle of my post? I explained that having it work "only for people who selected it" was possible.

We just need a dark mode CSS file with the media query to let it toggle based on the user's browser preference. No one has volunteered to make one yet.

Meulaar 03-12-2023 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3573426)
This.

The problem is, A) what you linked might have issues with our (old) version of the MediaWiki software, and B) it would change the wiki for everyone (ie. it wouldn't be a "dark mode", it'd be permanent darkness for all).

It is possible to add a (true) dark mode to the wiki though. It would take someone who knows CSS writing a new CSS file, or modifying and testing that guy's (it has almost 2500 lines of code, so starting fresh might actually be easier than tweaking/testing his file). Either way, the new file would need to use the prefer-color-scheme media query, to only show the styles with dark mode turned on in their browser.

If anyone wants to make/test such a file I'll happily add it to the wiki ... but Kavious's suggestion of just using a browser extension is probably going to be a lot easier.

Hey bro, you don't have to reply just to say they won't or we can't. That's not helpful for the sake of sounding helpful.

It's just no dark mode in 2023? Is it a huge programmatic effort to add a theme to a wiki and see if it works? I'm almost very sure that it's not.

They may only have productions systems to work with. I could see how one would not want to rock that boat.

If they don't want to take the time that's fine. I don't get the lack of support. I mean I get it, but I don't. But I guess I can't complain...?

Thanks for the alternatives guys!

Meulaar 03-12-2023 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkmarino (Post 3573540)

Thanks! Dark reader is great so far! Exactly what I'vce been looking for. Let's just see how it messes up my cert classes. haha!

loramin 03-12-2023 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meulaar (Post 3587896)
Hey bro, you don't have to reply just to say they won't or we can't.

That's not what I said.

I said, we can (and, as you suggested, it's really not hard) ... but it does take someone who knows CSS spending an hour or two to write the CSS file, and test it to make sure it doesn't make any wiki pages unreadable. If anyone is willing to do that, I'll happily "install" it on the wiki.

If you were motivated enough, you could probably teach yourself enough CSS in an hour or two to do the job yourself (there are tons of Youtube videos and tutorials and such).