Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Quit cigarettes two weeks ago (/forums/showthread.php?t=212837)

Gaunja 09-29-2015 08:10 AM

Quit cigarettes two weeks ago

Still going strong. Man that shit has a stronghold on my mind. Kudos to anyone who has quit before. It's not easy

phacemeltar 09-29-2015 08:17 AM

some people smoke their cigarette so close to the filter that the plastic actually starts to melt. tobacco isnt the worst, but inhaling plastic is awful for you.

i switched to smoking tobacco out of a pipe and i think i actually smoke more tobacco now. dont try it as an alternative, cold-turkey is the only option. my e-cig makes me feel like i have pneunomia after a few hours of use.

numtik 09-29-2015 08:26 AM

Keep at it. The physical addiction will go away but the mental one will stay forever. For me it was about keeping the streak going. It's been over a year and I'd be furious with myself if I gave in, even though I still think about it every day.

I tried supplementing before too. Doesn't work.

Gaunja 09-29-2015 08:26 AM

Thanks. I was going to try e cig and vaping bc I heard it worked well, but figured cold turkey was best

Barkingturtle 09-29-2015 08:42 AM

Been maybe a year for me. I never think about it any more. I rolled my own for the last fifteen years I smoked, so at least I wasn't constantly ingesting the chemical cocktail that goes into manufactured cigarettes. I think that probably made it easier.

Honestly, quitting drinking was harder -- largely because I was so physically addicted that the act of detoxifying nearly killed me. Going vegan was more difficult, too, because our culture celebrates the consumption of animals to an obsessive extent. Cigarettes? Really just a simple matter of self control.

But yeah, when quitting anything, cold turkey is the only way. Except if you're going vegan, I guess. Turkey is meat.

Best of luck.

Itap 09-29-2015 09:45 AM

I stopped drinking caffeine for about a year now, and it was rough. Headaches, irritability, lethargy. It only lasted a few weeks though, it will get better.

Ride on my rescue for a few shifts and you'll never want to smoke another cig again. COPD is terrifying.

Thana8088 09-29-2015 11:42 AM

I quit almost 8 months ago and it was tough (I was either yelling or crying or BOTH for the first 3 weeks or so), but it's been fanfuckingtastic since then.

I really like not having to worry about things like "Do I have enough cigarettes for today/tonight/this weekend?", "When can I get my next smoke break in?", and "How far is the closest discount tobacco store?" I had no idea how much time I spent worrying about cigarettes.

Keep it up. You'll be so glad to be free!

Sirken 09-29-2015 11:47 AM

so what did you guys do about after eating? after a meal, and being stuck in traffic are like the two times that my brain goes fucking nuts for them

Thana8088 09-29-2015 11:52 AM

Personally, buckets of
http://www.diyinspired.com/wp-conten...-Printable.jpg

Paleman 09-29-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirken (Post 2061007)
so what did you guys do about after eating? after a meal, and being stuck in traffic are like the two times that my brain goes fucking nuts for them

you replace the ritual with something else. IE chew some gum after a meal, or in the car when you crave one, or something similar to that.