Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   EJ Repeated Crashing (/forums/showthread.php?t=408476)

Xulia 09-25-2022 04:54 PM

EJ Repeated Crashing

EJ has crashed 3 times for me now in the past 10 minutes. I have followed all steps listed in the How To Avoid Crashes on P99 video but I can't even move without the client crashing while at the Druid port in location in EJ. For some strange reason this only happens on my Half Elf Paladin and there is no error message. The entire client freezes and I go LD in game only once I end the task eqgame. The same happened in Iceclad Ocean yesterday once, wrote that off as a fluke since it happens in some Velious zones to multiple folks. For it to now happen in the exact same zone on the same toon within 3 seconds of logging in but no others means there must be something attempting to process/render that is hosing the entire application.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Starting this thread in case anyone else is seeing the same and if anyone has managed a fix.

To Extraversion of <Dial A Port> I am so sorry but thank you for your patience. Find me on Xulia and I will gladly pay you for your time because I would be pretty irritated to see my fare go LD 3 times!

jolanar 09-26-2022 08:54 AM

Just brainstorming here but sounds like maybe a corrupted file associated with EJ. My first thought is a fresh reinstall might help.

cd288 09-26-2022 01:46 PM

This has happened to me a couple of times, but not just in EJ.

One thing that I theorize may have stopped it (I at least haven't seen it happen to me in a couple of weeks) was, if you have more than one monitor, making sure that no portion of your EQ window is sticking out into the other monitor. I was having the same issue of logging in, going to move, and the second I move it would freeze. It happened over and over and I was like wtf (and I've experienced it on different chars in different zones). I noticed that a small sliver of the EQ window was on my second monitor (I had the window positioned at the edge of my first monitor so I could have something else up on part of that monitor). When I made sure the whole window was on my main monitor the freezing stopped.

I still have occasional reset device failed crashes like once every other week or so, but that problem of literally not being able to move a step before the game froze hasn't happened since I made sure my window wasn't accidentally on the other monitor to any extent. Could be anecdotal and irrelevant too, but just sharing my experience.

Xulia 09-26-2022 10:58 PM

Did a fresh reinstall, no issues so far. Tried to recreate it since and so far have had zero luck. Hoping it was a one off fluke but man I felt bad for that poor DAP.

karadin 09-28-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xulia (Post 3510495)
Did a fresh reinstall, no issues so far. Tried to recreate it since and so far have had zero luck. Hoping it was a one off fluke but man I felt bad for that poor DAP.

Have you installed dgvoodoo? It's the only thing that has stopped all crashes for me which occur after entering the game world.

Xulia 09-29-2022 11:06 AM

Happened again - this time with another DAP. So I can zone in fine, can group fine, but the second they go to cast the port the client freezes. Will try DGVoodoo now and see if this works. Why this only happens on my Half Elf Paladin is really weird since I cannot recreate this at all on any other race/class.

Garnaak 09-29-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xulia (Post 3511721)
Happened again - this time with another DAP. So I can zone in fine, can group fine, but the second they go to cast the port the client freezes. Will try DGVoodoo now and see if this works. Why this only happens on my Half Elf Paladin is really weird since I cannot recreate this at all on any other race/class.

Sounds maybe like a spell effects issue. DX9 not really implemented well on (if at all) on newer systems iirc. Maybe turn down or off these in the ini file.

Xulia 09-29-2022 01:09 PM

Turned off particle effects, fresh reinstall, fresh reboot.
Going to troubleshoot under less stressful circumstances thanks to Ambrogio coming through with a summon. Paladin is recovered!

Thank you again!!

mcoy 09-29-2022 01:40 PM

Typically when people have issues with only one character it's related to your UI windows. Do you have any chat text going to a window that you've perhaps resized to be too small? If the client tries to write text to an invalid window it will crash. Maybe your DAP'ers are /auctioning when they arrive and you have auction chat going to a tiny box?

-Mcoy