Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Afghanistan Megathread (/forums/showthread.php?t=389888)

unsunghero 08-19-2021 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongNpretty (Post 3348767)
I'm ready! Ask a poor man anything-

Anything? Ok to get back on topic…

How many similarities can you spot between the Jan 6 riot and the overthrow of the Afghanistan government

Conversely, how many differences can you spot?

Horza 08-19-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibartik (Post 3348653)
wow they say all this is because biden went against advice of his commanders just so he could be the guy that ended the afganastan war on 9/11 that is like something Id expect to hear from FOX

The Wall Street Journal and Fox News are both owned by the same people.

Ennewi 08-19-2021 02:42 PM

So we should lower our nat'l standards by comparing an American form of extremism to an older, more entrenched version abroad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsunghero (Post 3348775)
How many similarities can you spot between the Jan 6 riot and the overthrow of the Afghanistan government

At least one—psychological.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism

The mishandling of this withdrawal, the immediate fallout and long-term effects are all worthwhile topics to discuss but not while being set against the backdrop of January 6th to make the insurrection seem benign. Any two things can be used in a compare and contrast to make one seem less bad, that doesn't suddenly make it not bad.

Also, call Afghanistan a shithole if you want, but that hole has avoided getting its shit pushed in time and again throughout history.

https://www.quora.com/Did-Alexander-...er-Afghanistan

cd288 08-19-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unsunghero (Post 3348761)
Wicked burn bro. Dunno how I’m able to pay my mortgage on the 350k home I own with such a low IQ. How’s your living situation?

350k? Is that a lot or something? I'm guessing based on this post and this comment you live in some random town in like the midwest where 350k is considered a lot of money?

Get into mid-7 figures and then we'll talk you bad ass ;)

starkind 08-19-2021 02:53 PM

guy with glasses is def a secret agent man but i dont want him to die cuz i made this dumb comment praying for them

also, i'm with the guy saying this is the rise of an islamic caliphate, erdy boy thinks he can control it but it will devour that region once he installs it and these guys will all ware pins on their left lapels but with an islamic flag gg over folks

Ennewi 08-19-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trexller (Post 3348698)
Lt. Commander Navy Seal (10 years on teams)
1x bronze star, 1x bronze star w/ V, Purple Heart, NMCC with valor
5 tours, iraq/afghanistan
Lost 1.5 eyes in an IED, Afghanistan.
Currently in 2nd term representing Texas' 2nd congressional district

This guy is more qualified to comment on afghanistan than anyone, anywhere.

More than Afghans themselves?

Ennewi 08-19-2021 03:05 PM

Wrong thread. Partial blame goes to...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baler (Post 3348707)
We already have a thread for this topic, please try to keep it contained to that thread.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=390020

Jibartik 08-19-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ennewi (Post 3348797)
More than Afghans themselves?

Are you going to try to justify the taliban because they have supporters?

You think the Austrians in 1940 were more qualified than anyone else to determine their future and they made good choices?

unsunghero 08-19-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd288 (Post 3348788)
350k? Is that a lot or something? I'm guessing based on this post and this comment you live in some random town in like the midwest where 350k is considered a lot of money?

Get into mid-7 figures and then we'll talk you bad ass ;)

It’s enough to demonstrate I’m probably not legally retarded like you suggested, genius

cd288 08-19-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walfreyydo (Post 3348677)
Something tells me we should have probably evacuated the 15,000 Americans still trapped there, and gotten the 80,000 Afghan SIV's their visa's BEFORE closing Bagram and pulling out all our troops... seems like that should have come first... It doesnt help that our State Dept has been completely defunded by the previous admin and cannot get visas and background checks done for the afghans.

I dont know but it feels like common sense to me, to not assume we would have "time" to do that later... I blame the military and civilian leadership from both the Biden and Trump administration. I think they both played a part in this debacle and both bear responsibility.

Regardless of what political side of the isle you are on, the lack of planning and contingencies is unacceptable and just sad.

I see what you're trying to say, but respectfully this is too simple of a way of looking at it.

The reality is that the second we decided to pull out the police and security forces started taking bribes from the Taliban or just abandoning their posts altogether. That's what led to the Taliban's rapid advance. So if you start evacuating Americans and getting Afghans visas before you commit to a pull out, the same thing would happen; people would just realize that meant the Americans were going to announce a pullout soon and they'd start accepting surrender bribes/deserting just like they did in the current scenario.