Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Some Info About Clickies (/forums/showthread.php?t=335746)

Videri 10-09-2019 04:23 AM

Some Info About Clickies

I meet a lot of players that don't know about this, so I'm finally going to do a big long write-up to try to cover all the basics of clickies, especially instant ones. Please feel free to add any info I have missed. Perhaps I'll do a second draft with further information and revisions suggested by other posters.

Summary of purposes of instant-click items:
1. Reset global cooldown, eliminating the delay between casting spells. It’s like haste for casters!
2. Clicky junk buffs protect other more valuable buffs from dispels, especially raid mob AE dispels.
3. Hey, mana-free buff!

1. Reset global cooldown
Ordinarily, you have to wait approximately 1.5 seconds after finishing a spell to start another spell. However, the game lets you use clicky items like a Pegasus Feather Cloak (6-second cast time) immediately after casting a spell; and the game lets you cast a spell immediately after a clicky item’s cast time concludes. Therefore, if you click an item with an instant cast time immediately after finishing a spell, you may immediately begin casting another spell. It’s classic!

CAVEAT: if you want to chain-cast the same spell, it has to be in spell gem slot 1. Slots 2-8 won’t let you repeat the same spell over and over. However, you can go Spell 2 - clicky - Spell 3 - clicky - Spell 2 and so on. On a wizard, you can do this with a nuke and Concussion to maximize your damage rate.

CAVEAT: certain spells have their own cooldown, separate from the global spell cooldown, which cannot be circumvented. Harvest and Theft of Thought are examples.
Hotkey it: there’s no need to click an item with your mouse, as you can hotkey it by holding left click on the item (or rather, on the inventory slot).

Notable applications of clicky GCD reduction:
• Crowd control, such as root, stun, mesmerize, and charm. Resetting global cooldown lets you pop off more spells faster, which can be critical in crowd-control situations or to regain control when charm breaks. Note that if you want to chain stun, you will need more than one stun spell memorized, as most stuns have a built-in cooldown longer than global cooldown.
• Cannibalize (shamans). Quickly canni-clicky-canni etc, then sit and regen. A less efficient but less concentration-intensive alternative to canni-dancing. Unfortunately, Cannibalize is one of those spells with a built-in cooldown; you have to wait about half a second to recast it even if you use a clicky. Clicky canni is still faster than canni with no clicky, though. You can also alternate two different cannibalize spells to get around this.
• Quadding - It’s helpful (though not required) to flux staff your quad in between nukes to allow yourself to cast them earlier and get back to medding sooner. Flux it up!
• Chain nuking with a nuke in Spell Gem 1. Great when the target is snared, rooted, or firmly aggroed.
• Buffing. For example, as a shaman: target Soandso, cast AC buff, clicky, cast agility buff, clicky, cast dexterity buff, clicky, cast strength buff, clicky, cast stamina buff, clicky, cast regen, clicky, cast haste. Sit; or target the next person and repeat. That saved about 9 seconds.
• Note that bards do not experience global cooldown.

2. Clicky junk buffs
Some mobs (or players, if PvP) dispel you. However, the dispel of a raid mob's AE is different from those cast by regular mobs.
a. When a regular mob, such as a goblin, casts a dispel, it uses “counters” to determine which buff to remove. This means they can skip buffs and dispel seemingly at random. However, if you place junk buffs first in your buff stack, they at least have a chance to be dispelled first, so you have a greater chance of keeping your more valuable buffs.
b. When a raid mob procs a dispel AE, such as Nagafen or Vox, it is guaranteed to remove your first buff. A clicky junk buff can be used to eat this dispel, then immediately reapplied. This will protect more valuable buffs from dispels.

As a side note, it is ideal to apply less-important buffs before more-important buffs for the same reason. Spirit of Wolf, Clarity, and big HP buffs like Aegolism or Protection of the Glades should be applied after a few other buffs so they are less likely to be dispelled. You can even cast unnecessary buffs like Resist Disease or vision buffs as junk buffs.

Even non-instant clicky junk buffs can be better than none, such as the 20% haste from Eyepatch of Plunder. This can be reapplied mid-fight if dispelled.

3. The buff itself
Some instant-cast buffs are actually desirable for the buff.
• As a wizard, I often cast Elemental Armor, a self-only +30 fire resist, +30 cold resist buff. Now that I have Sage’s Pantaloons (Velious/Thurgadin), I don’t have to cast it anymore. I have it up all the time. You never know when you'll get fire/cold nuked!
• On my cleric, I have a Fright Forged Helm, which has instant-cast Deadeye, which grants infravision and see invisible. It’s nice to have infravision on an Erudite or a Human; and it’s a nice perk to have see-invis on a cleric. Both would otherwise go without.
• Technically the Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring should make you hit harder, but it’s probably not much. I believe most people want it to reset GCD or eat dispels.

I hope this has been informative. Please feel free to make corrections and clarifications or add any info I have missed.

Baler 10-09-2019 10:20 AM

very nice write up. I feel like this belongs on the wiki, I just don't know which page.

loramin 10-09-2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baler (Post 2979706)
very nice write up. I feel like this belongs on the wiki, I just don't know which page.

Yes, great write-up! Maybe it could be a guide? Or maybe (in slightly less guide-like, more encyclopedia-like format) it could become the text for http://wiki.project1999.com/Category...ick_Equipment?

BlackBellamy 10-09-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Videri (Post 2979580)
blah blah lots of stuff about clickies etc etc

Your post has been added to the top of https://wiki.project1999.com/Clickies

If you want to change anything, login to the wiki and fire away!

Madbad 10-09-2019 11:09 AM

Enshrined forever in history

BlackBellamy 10-09-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madbad (Post 2979765)
Enshrined forever in history

Yeah you better hope the wayback machine keeps running, because that's the only glue holding the internet together. People back in the day were like yeah the internet is forever but I ask them to find that article from 20 years ago and it's like what happened?

loramin 10-09-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 2979784)
Yeah you better hope the wayback machine keeps running, because that's the only glue holding the internet together. People back in the day were like yeah the internet is forever but I ask them to find that article from 20 years ago and it's like what happened?

Well, even that is only a partial fix. Wayback Machine leaves out TONS of stuff.

Minor website background info: every website can create a file called robots.txt. This file gives the website a way to tell "robots" (search engines) what parts of the site they can and can't see. For instance, maybe you don't want people going in to your foo page inside your bar page directly from Google: you want them to go to the bar page first, so you block the foo page in your robots.txt.

What does this have to do with the Wayback Machine? Well, because it's a "robot" itself, it respects robots.txt, which means that if a website blocks a part of itself in that file, it won't be archived. What's worse, if it was archived, and the site changes their robots.txt to block that part (... in 2019, for reasons having nothing to do with the Wayback Machine), the Wayback Machine will no longer show archives of that part.

This is why the entirety of the EQ Traders forums are now forever lost to time. The Wayback Machine has an archive, but won't show it until the EQ Traders robots.txt changes, and since that file is controlled by the giant message board system that EQ Traders uses ... fat chance of that ever happening.

loramin 10-09-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 2979753)
Your post has been added to the top of https://wiki.project1999.com/Clickies

If you want to change anything, login to the wiki and fire away!

I love the initiative and I love that you took action (that's the wiki way!), but ... "clickies" and "instant-click clickies" are two separate things. I think it'd be more ideal if we could somehow make that distinction clearer, since the OP's post was all about instant clickies, but the page isn't.

BlackBellamy 10-09-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2979795)
I love the initiative and I love that you took action (that's the wiki way!), but ... "clickies" and "instant-click clickies" are two separate things. I think it'd be more ideal if we could somehow make that distinction clearer, since the OP's post was all about instant clickies, but the page isn't.

I have adjusted the wiki page as per your unreasonable angry tirade slash rant.

loramin 10-09-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBellamy (Post 2979878)
I have adjusted the wiki page as per your unreasonable angry tirade slash rant.

:D