Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Possibly scammed in a trade? What can I do? (/forums/showthread.php?t=298772)

Tyrrion 05-24-2018 12:26 AM

Possibly scammed in a trade? What can I do?

First off, I'm going to be as vague as I can here as I'm not entirely sure what I can do here, or if I actually was scammed, but I had a trade that rubbed me the wrong way a few days ago and was wondering what I can do about it.

The person in question sent me a tell for a trade of an item from me for plat from them. They eventually met with me, and the item and cash were put up in the trade window. At some point, this person used the Hide skill during or before the trade, and I didn't notice until I tried to buff them after the trade menu closed.

I didn't check my exact plat totals before or after the trade, and the value of the item was small, so I don't have any solid evidence that something wrong happened, but the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. The value of the item isn't a concern to me, only to see that justice is dealt if there was wrongdoing here.

I vaguely remember something about something like this being an exploit back in the day, and just want to know what my options are. Is this something the GMs can confirm if they checked some logs given the location and time? If this is even a possible exploit, is that allowed here?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Tyrrion 05-24-2018 12:57 AM

Yeah, sorry I can't be more specific. I've been more careful in my trades since then, so even if this is a loss I'm not worried about the plat too much. Just wondering if this is a thing and if there's something that can be done about it.

Dreenk317 05-24-2018 12:59 AM

I've never heard of it being a thing

Tyrrion 05-24-2018 02:09 AM

Hrm, I guess my question is would I just be wasting the GM's time if I filled out a report? Do they have access to more info in their logs than I do in my chat log to confirm my suspicions?

Jimjam 05-24-2018 02:37 AM

How much plat do you roughly feel you were short?

Tyrrion 05-24-2018 02:42 AM

I don't want to put an amount on it, but it was smaller than I'd give to someone who is getting started with the game and seems nice. It was less than I would immediately notice in the cash I had in my pocket even if it was a successful trade.

I really don't care about the plat, what matters to me is confirming if I got ripped off, and that the person in question is punished if so.

Edit: I was worried about posting this thread at all because I don't want my business to have a reputation for calling people out as cheats, but a friend recommended I get some advice from the community before I move forward.

Bboboo 05-24-2018 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiouxNation (Post 2712624)
Working in IT this reminds me of the worst kind of “problems”.

“This doesn’t work”
“What’s not working?”
“...I dunno but it’s not right, I think...”
“...”

totally got this vibe after the first sentence

made me sick

Troxx 05-24-2018 07:14 AM

Yeah I’ve never heard of this being a thing.

Tudar 05-24-2018 07:27 AM

In all of my years playing EQ, I've never heard of anything related to the hide skill, or any player skill that directly influenced the trade window (with people).

There was an early scam that involved swapping items with the same item icon before hitting trade but that was fixed (can't remove items from trade window without canceling).

Doil_Boil 05-24-2018 07:29 AM

Yeah dude the trade system is pretty fullporoof. You didn't get scammed unless you gave them an item and didn't get paid at all.