Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Melee (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   The things Rogues actually do (/forums/showthread.php?t=324983)

1asdfasdf1 05-07-2019 11:22 AM

The things Rogues actually do

Hi all,

I do not have a rogue, and I'm wondering what do they actually do with their time in EQ. Here are my (mis)conceptions. Kindly educate me.
  1. Stab stuff
  2. Can't tank past level 20'ish, even with great gear (and then only maybe to level 50)
  3. Literally assassinate level <=46 humanoids once they're level 60 (but can they loot those instakill corpses?)
  4. Use some kind of auto-attack-off-then-hide hotbutton macro to lower their threat? (Does this work?)
  5. Scout dungeons (and planes?)
  6. Only 1 or 2 mobs in the whole game can see through their sneak+hide (lguk assassin?)
  7. Drag corpses, except in Velious where somehow corpse dragging results in aggro
  8. Acquire a 40% epic haste weapon relatively cheaply / easily compared to, say, the warrior or mage epics
  9. Buy and sell from/to KOS merchants
  10. Pickpocket NPCs during fights (which reduces loot flow to rest of group, right?)
  11. Probably never use poisons because they're expensive garbage
  12. Typically have to juggle, bard-style, a primary weapon with a backstab weapon
  13. Explore most dungeons without fear!
  14. Die alone if they're in trouble, like warriors, rangers, pallies, but unlike bards and FD classes.

DinoTriz2 05-07-2019 11:51 AM

Most of that stuff is true.

3) It might even be higher, I know I can Assassinate mobs in Seb. Also, you can loot them.

4) Yes, that macro works. Known as the Evade macro.

6) Nah, there's a lot more than that.

12) Eh, I guess if you have a really nice non-piercing weapon you could do this, but probably not worth it.

stebbins99 05-07-2019 12:17 PM

Do you guys get exp when you assassinate a mob? (provided it would normally yield exp if killed traditionally)

Snaggles 05-07-2019 12:17 PM

(disclaimer: 20 year old recollection)

You can certainly tank post-50 but there has to be a good reason for it. You have no way to pick up aggro besides procs but with a healer and a Locustlure I'd definitely toss the epic in the offhand and go to town if needed.

As far as I understand nothing in the game sees through sneak (any class, not just rogues) but you have to be behind them. The rogue's hide/sneak combo is really like a supercharged invis & invis to undead. Definitely more things see through it but it's really solid. Also I believe if you invis a rogue it's essentially the same effect. Before level 60 I used to pull corpses quickly with a cloudy potion in hate...so long as I didn't run into one of those damn loathing liches. If playing a rogue again I'd fill a backpack with those or some ring of shadows.

Poison making is a money pit but can be dang fun on occasion. I'd train it up to a moderate level. Bored people occasionally duel and the rogue doesn't fare well...muscle lock poison at least lets you panic people for a bit before they beat ya.

1asdfasdf1 05-07-2019 02:21 PM

Is http://wiki.project1999.com/Book_of_Souls one of those things that takes you past a bunch of see-through-sneak-hide mobs?

DinoTriz2 05-07-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1asdfasdf1 (Post 2906582)
Is http://wiki.project1999.com/Book_of_Souls one of those things that takes you past a bunch of see-through-sneak-hide mobs?

Yes, although not all mobs in PoH see through hide, there are a couple that do.

I can't remember which ones do though.

jolanar 05-07-2019 04:06 PM

The main 'issue' with Rogue taking hits from mobs is their total lack of HP. Their defensive skill caps are actually pretty great.

Cecily 05-07-2019 05:33 PM

I mostly post on the forums. Right now I’m trying to teach myself magic though. One, ok two tiny little spells to change my appearance passed me out for 24 hours+ and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing.

Madbad 05-07-2019 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 2906669)
Right now I’m trying to teach myself magic though.

How's that going for ya?

Muggens 05-07-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 2906669)
I mostly post on the forums. Right now I’m trying to teach myself magic though. One, ok two tiny little spells to change my appearance passed me out for 24 hours+ and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing.

Interesting stuff, I may have to stop by Off Topic again soon to check in on this =)
Be careful with magic tho!