Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Running EQ under LINUX (/forums/showthread.php?t=14125)

fb9 11-10-2019 07:28 PM

Poor performance

My 2 cents for ultra poor performance -

On a 5 year old laptop, also have embedded Intel 4000 video.

On Linux Mint checked under 'Driver Manager'
Had to make sure Intel microcode drivers were 'activated'.
Sorry, can't advise how that exists with other systems.

Major updates I think tended to reset this and would find the game running at terrible FPS. Switching it back and it was reasonable.

Still no powerhouse, but can play most zone without major issue.

xaix1999 11-11-2019 10:57 PM

no sound fx or music

Hello everyone

im having some problems with being away for a few months and coming back to no sound
no sound issue is localized to only EQ
if anyone know the sound requirements i will investigate in meeting those
also my script to start looks like

Quote:

#!/bin/bash
~/mimd/p99mimd &
echo $! >/tmp/p99middle.pid
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/EQEmu"
WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.wine" wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
kill -9 $(cat /tmp/p99middle.pid)
the pastebin is my log upto character screen where i should be able to hear my melee guy swing
https://pastebin.com/Qh8xT2GJ

also my eqclient.ini says Sound=TRUE

xaix1999 11-11-2019 11:59 PM

no sound fx or music

nm everyone downgraded my wine and the sound came back

Feracitus 03-18-2020 05:06 PM

Hi, i'm a new linux user, and i copied over my install from windows inside the wine directory, but i cant figure out how to create a desktop shortcut for eqgame.exe, i'm using linux mint 19.

sol87 03-18-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feracitus (Post 3099334)
Hi, i'm a new linux user, and i copied over my install from windows inside the wine directory, but i cant figure out how to create a desktop shortcut for eqgame.exe, i'm using linux mint 19.

Hi there! Idk mint but it should be the same.
Make a new file on your desktop with .sh at the end of the name. Edit the file with a text editor.
Code:

cd "/home/username/.wine/yourEQfolder" && wine eqgame.exe patchme
Let me know if not.

mgellan 03-19-2020 10:39 AM

Google is your friend :)

https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up

Benanov 03-19-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol87 (Post 3099407)
Make a new file on your desktop with .sh at the end of the name. Edit the file with a text editor.
Code:

Let me know if not.

Really should make a .desktop file, that's what the google links should tell ya. Make sure it's +x

Feracitus 03-26-2020 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol87 (Post 3099407)
Code:

Let me know if not.

so i was able to create the shortcut like this by substituting with my path, but when i try to launch i get an error: "there was an error launching this application" (that's a translation from my native language)

i also tried making a launcher following the tutorial on https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up, but that didnt work either.

Quote:

Really should make a .desktop file, that's what the google links should tell ya. Make sure it's +x
I did name it EQ.Desktop, didnt work, and i'm noob to the point i don't really know what +x means.

loramin 03-26-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feracitus (Post 3102348)
so i was able to create the shortcut like this by substituting with my path, but when i try to launch i get an error: "there was an error launching this application" (that's a translation from my native language)

i also tried making a launcher following the tutorial on https://superuser.com/questions/1219...-mint-18-or-up, but that didnt work either.

I did name it EQ.Desktop, didnt work, and i'm noob to the point i don't really know what +x means.

"+x" is UNIX-speak for "add executable permissions to the file". UNIX controls which users on your computer can access which files in three ways: it can let a use read (R), write (ie modify; W), or execute (ie. run; X) that file.

When you right-click on the file and choose properties, or at the command line by using the "chmod" command, you can change which permissions a user has on a file. When you do it at the command line, you use pluses and minuses to add/remove permissions. For instance "chmod a+x foo.file" would give ("+") execute ("x") permissions to all ("a") users on foo.file.

Benanov 03-26-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 3102459)
"+x" is UNIX-speak for "add executable permissions to the file". UNIX controls which users on your computer can access which files in three ways: it can let a use read (R), write (ie modify; W), or execute (ie. run; X) that file.

When you right-click on the file and choose properties, or at the command line by using the "chmod" command, you can change which permissions a user has on a file. When you do it at the command line, you use pluses and minuses to add/remove permissions. For instance "chmod a+x foo.file" would give ("+") execute ("x") permissions to all ("a") users on foo.file.

To follow up on this, a while back most linux distributions require .desktop files to be executable or they would not show up as shortcuts. It is a security thing.

.sh files always needed to be executable.

Sorry for the shorthand.