Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Running EQ under LINUX (/forums/showthread.php?t=14125)

limit 11-05-2010 07:15 PM

if anyone needs the compiled version, pm me

Prefader 11-05-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weizen (Post 169161)
ok tried to compile myself and everything looks good until I get to
[CC="ccache gcc" LDFLAGS="-L./lib32" ./configure -v] and I get [bash: ./configure: No such file or directory]

Is the configure script in the directory you're trying to run it from?

ls -a

If you don't see configure in there, you're in the wrong directory.

limit 11-06-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prefader (Post 169567)
Is the configure script in the directory you're trying to run it from?

ls -a

If you don't see configure in there, you're in the wrong directory.

also... if you read the README, it recommends you use the wine build tool that comes with the source rather than trying to do so typically. (this will save you alot of headache)

Weizen 11-08-2010 03:54 PM

ok stil not sure what I did ,or didn't do, got wine compiled and installed config checks out fine for some reason when I go to copy over my EQ install into the wine folder it does nothing but paste it in the folder I must be missing something here or have miss read something somewhere

mgellan 11-08-2010 05:22 PM

FWIW when I went Ubuntu 10.04 the default install used noveau (open source Nvidia drivers) by default which didn't work at all (hated my three monitor setup too!) so I used the proprietary nvidia drivers - EQ became pretty flakey and tended to crash a lot. Recently when the video board on my wife's machine died I upgraded mine (my machine always gets the upgrades, all the others get hand me downs LOL) to a new nvidia GT240 board which needed a new version of the nvidia drivers, which don't happen automagically, you have to go in and select the new driver in the proprietary driver tool. EQ is back to being rock solid and fast with the new driver...

Regards,
Mg

mgellan 11-08-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weizen (Post 170596)
ok stil not sure what I did ,or didn't do, got wine compiled and installed config checks out fine for some reason when I go to copy over my EQ install into the wine folder it does nothing but paste it in the folder I must be missing something here or have miss read something somewhere

Not sure what you're saying - you are trying to copy your Everquest folder to your Wine folder and it's failing or you only get a link or ?

You should be able to navigate to your EQ folder (I'm assuming on a Windows partition) in the file browser, right click/Copy then navigate to the folder:

.wine/drive_C

and right click / "Paste Into" the Program files folder to copy your complete EQ folder to wine.

Regards,
Mg

mgellan 11-08-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limit (Post 169525)
if anyone needs the compiled version, pm me

And/or me :)

Regards,
Mg

mgellan 11-08-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japan (Post 159871)
Now that it only takes 6 hours to set up EQ and WINE with this succinct 6-page guide, this could really be the year of the linux desktop

Actually, the fact limit packaged the fix means this is a 10 second install... Even a Windoze bigot like you could do it! Come on, unglue your lips from sucking on the Micro$oft teat and come see what a real OS looks like :)

Regards,
Mg

Weizen 11-09-2010 09:33 PM

For some reason I'm not getting the little wine glass icon, nor will EQ even attempt to start
I will make my 5th or 6th (not sure which one it is now) try at it once I get back home in a few days
I know its something insanely simple that I am overlooking, maybe need to try it drunk...... that I will have a better excuse for my failures....lol

mgellan 11-10-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weizen (Post 171277)
I know its something insanely simple that I am overlooking, maybe need to try it drunk...... that I will have a better excuse for my failures....lol

Try typing the command line into a terminal window and see what happens, probably it'll give you a meaningful error message...

Regards,
Mg