Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Green Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Former EverQuest, Vanguard developer passes away (/forums/showthread.php?t=341553)

Rooj 11-18-2019 04:59 PM

Former EverQuest, Vanguard developer passes away

https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/18/f...or-his-family/

Quote:

Please be aware that this post contains discussions of suicide, which we realize may upset some readers. Please read with caution and comment respectfully.

We’re sad to write today that a game developer who’s crossed our community’s path before has passed away: Matt McDonald, who most recently served as Technical Art Director at Amazon Game Studios. McDonald’s career as an artist, modeler, and animator was prolific; among the MMOs he worked on were EverQuest, Vanguard, and Hero’s Song, though he owned an animation studio that contributed to dozens upon dozens more video games and other projects, and of course, his Linkedin says he was attached to the “un-announced, ‘Billion Dollar Franchise'” at Amazon.

Former SOE and Daybreak President and current Amazon Games Studio General Manager John Smedley tweeted today about the loss to the community, passing along a link to a GoFundMe organized by McDonald’s colleagues aimed at helping his family cope with his loss.

“Words cannot describe the pain and seemingly endless agony the McDonald family is going through with the sudden loss of their beloved father and husband, Matthew McDonald. Matt’s life ended this past Saturday, November 9, 2019, from an ongoing battle with depression and suicide. He leaves behind his loving and devoted wife of 23 years, Tamy, and their three boys, Tyler, Gage and Gavin.”

John Smedley
@j_smedley
Please consider donating to this Gofundme for my friend and former colleague Matt McDonald. Matt lost his battle with depression and took his own life. He is survived by his wife and kids. Any help is appreciated. http://gf.me/u/wr5vvk via @gofundme

Mercius 11-18-2019 05:04 PM

oof :(

sentinel 11-18-2019 05:15 PM

That's really sad :(

jacob54311 11-18-2019 05:16 PM

Suicide. That's tough. My cousin just killed himself a few months ago. Devastating.

RIP.

perilsensitive 11-18-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Gnome (Post 3029040)
This world is an amazing beautiful place, to opt out is insane

if you arent happy change shit up

Congratulations on not understanding depression at all.

Swish 11-18-2019 05:37 PM

Smed put $1500 into that gofundme

If it's okay I'm going to leave that link here - https://www.gofundme.com/f/matt-mcdonald

strawman 11-18-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

This world is an amazing beautiful place

If this were true there wouldn't be a suicide epidemic

norova 11-18-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

This world is an amazing beautiful place, to opt out is insane

if you arent happy change shit up

Consider yourself fortunate that you haven't yet been made to understand how depression and mental illness works.

Phaezed-Reality 11-18-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norova (Post 3029081)
Consider yourself fortunate that you haven't yet been made to understand how depression and mental illness works.

trust me, he does. He lives near me lol.

zodias 11-18-2019 06:29 PM

Not many people know this but Matt McDonald actually played on p99 Teal. He had been sitting at #3 on the manastone /list for the last 4 days.

RIP