Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Casters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Rest the dead unusable at higher levels (/forums/showthread.php?t=311540)

tranceminus 11-26-2018 05:37 PM

Rest the dead unusable at higher levels

Hey guys, not sure if I'm just really unlucky or what, but I seem to get a ridiculously high crit fail rate when I try to use rest the dead in HS. I'm not entirely sure it's ever worked.

Is there a level cap to this spell? It seems like it's the highest level lull necros get, so maybe we just don't really have a lull spell appropriate for high level content?

Tecmos Deception 11-26-2018 07:24 PM

Im not too familiar with necro lull mechanics. But with chanters there is no level cap (I use my two lowest level lulls exclusively) and crit fails are basically a product of poor charisma.

thebutthat 11-27-2018 07:25 AM

It works. It also has a CHA check, and necros typically have low cha. So there will be lots of failures and crit failures. Give yourself some distance, have a spell gcd reset clicky. Be ready to FD after every fail. It works...you just need to position properly for the failures. I use it in south all the time, and it's required to break some of the spots necros can do.

dcrag 01-19-2019 11:14 PM

I have like 14 charisma and have lulled in crypt (sebilis) and the emp chottal area (50+ stuff) pretty reliably.

What seems to matter is:
1) your level vs mob level
2) mobs mr
3) distance

Three sounds strange but, if I go to max distance around two walls they very very very rarely crit resist and even if they do it's almost a non-issue as I can FD before they are anywhere near.

crit resist = rest the dead resists and they agro immediately
regular resist = they resist and nothing comes chasing you

checking my logs it works about 65%+ of the time on anything that's not chottal or the named (the duke/baron/hiero/harbinger spawn) - again those same mobs that account for a large portion of the resists are higher level and have higher MR

Troxx 01-20-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebutthat (Post 2815281)
It works. It also has a CHA check, and necros typically have low cha...

Is this known for sure?

Raev 01-20-2019 04:39 PM

I would say that maybe 2-5% of pacify resists for Loraen are critical, while maybe 30% are for Tideka. So it seems likely that Charisma is involved. I would guess that those spells require a charisma field and Necros get a low-moderate default value. For the same reason I feel like I get way, way more Screaming Terror resists than Dazzle.

It would be relatively straightforward to measure: 25 normal lulls vs 25 with cha gear and buff. It shouldn't take a very large sample size to detect a +100 cha change if it really matters.

dcrag 01-20-2019 05:47 PM

What are you fighting that resists ST a lot? out of like 840 casts I have like 10 resists

Raev 01-20-2019 10:50 PM

$ grep "begins to scream" Logs/eqlog_Tideka_project1999.txt | grep Jan | wc -l
$ grep "resisted the Screaming" Logs/eqlog_Tideka_project1999.txt | grep Jan | wc -l

15% resists on a combination of L40-50 NPCs in KC, City of Mist, and Sebilis at level 52-53. I'm sure level has something to do with it, but I feel like Enchanters land more even at the same level.

Bardp1999 01-21-2019 02:38 AM

I use Numb The Dead pretty much exclusively and at 60 it works great, am I f#$%ing up by not using Rest The Dead?

And at OP I would imagine its 100% your level vs mob level that's making it suck for you. Remember, you dont need LoS for these luls, only a target and be within range.

Tecmos Deception 01-21-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardp1999 (Post 2845382)
I use Numb The Dead pretty much exclusively and at 60 it works great, am I f#$%ing up by not using Rest The Dead?

And at OP I would imagine its 100% your level vs mob level that's making it suck for you. Remember, you dont need LoS for these luls, only a target and be within range.

It looks like rest the dead reduces their aggro and assist radii even more. As a chanter, lull (similar to numb) is ok for some pulls where mobs won't path right over top of each other or if I don't need to bump right into something to get past it or whatever, and it saves some mana. But calm (similar to rest) is a better choice for tighter quarters or higher-level enemies that have bigger aggro/assist radii.

The durations of the spells varies sometimes too. It looks like rest last 3 minutes max but numb is only 2.