Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Strategy RPGs (SRPG) (/forums/showthread.php?t=26579)

Scrooge 02-01-2011 01:25 AM

Strategy RPGs (SRPG)

Can anyone recommend, or post your favorite SRPGs for Consoles? (Strategy RPG, non-RTS)

Games like; Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force 3, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, etc.

I don't mind old graphics as I grew up with a NES/SNES and them early 90s PC games, gameplay is what matters most after all.

**Legend: PSX = Playstation, PS2 = Playstation 2, Saturn = Sega Saturn, NDS = Nintendo DS, PSP - Playstation Portable, N64 = Nintendo 64, GBA = Gameboy Advance, NGC = Gamecube

Final Fantasy Tactics - PSX/PSP
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 - NDS
Tactics Ogre - PSX
Shining Force 3 (SC2/SC3/Premium w/Eng Trans Patch) - Saturn
Disgaea 1 and 2 - PS2
La Pucelle Tactics - PS2
Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 - PSX
Ogre Battle 64 - N64
Gladius - Xbox/NGC (Nintendo Gamecube)
Arc the Lad series - PSX
Jagged Alliance - NDS
Suikoden Tactics - PS2
X-COM - PSX/PC

hateshadow 02-01-2011 01:54 AM

Check out
Pool of Radiance (also known as the game that lasts forever because enemies are like 1000 times stronger than you and your characters always miss)

or in the same vein
Icewind Dale

Scratch&Sniff 02-01-2011 02:41 AM

fallout: Brotherhood of steel i think its called, aka fallout tatics

Pyrocat 02-01-2011 04:51 AM

Disgaea

Hobby 02-01-2011 05:08 AM

Age of Empires is a strategy game...Starcraft...but i guess not technically "role playing".

Scrooge 02-01-2011 05:22 AM

I've tried Disgaea several times before, though I didn't find it appealing.

Vandal Hearts was one of my most favorites on the PSX! If you've never played the game, I highly recommend it! Final Fantasy Tactics also, the GBA version was ok but not as much fun as the real deal.

I guess I should've said "SRPGs for Consoles," not RTS types for PC.

Harrison 02-01-2011 05:45 AM

I played Disgaea and I liked it.

In contrast to what I just said, though. I felt no reason to go back to it. It was...stupid. I LOVED the gameplay, but the fucking retarded storyline kept me out.

fischsemmel 02-01-2011 11:54 AM

Hope I'm listing the right kinds of games here. I've never really heard the term "Strategy RPG" before... so I'm just listing strategy games that aren't modern-day-based.

FFT is like my favorite strategy game ever. The version for the PSP is pretty nice imo too... some graphics glitches (spellcast animations are at about 1/2 speed) are annoying, but the gameplay is otherwise much the same but with some improvements (rafa and malak are more useful, etc). Also the multiplayer stuff is fun, and there is a bunch of new gear.

Master of Orion 1 and 2 are freaking fantastic sci-fi, turn-based, strategy games. Moo1 is very old, you have to appreciate games that old to really enjoy it, but moo2 is modern enough that you can jump right in and not feel like you have to unlearn new games in order to understand it.

Heroes of Might and Magic 1-3 are not unlike MOO, but in a fantasy setting instead of scifi. Also freaking amazing.

Also, it's not totally/truly a strategy rpg... but Tecmo's Deception and the games that follow it (there are 3 or so others) are awesome. Kinda action/shootery... but you place traps around castles that you've lured bad guys (well actually you're the bad guy...) to, capture their souls, and sacrifice them to the devil. Quite amusing stuff with some strategy required in the later games to get great combos of traps.

Brad_mo123 02-01-2011 12:06 PM

Vandal Hearts & Vandal Hearts 2 for Playstation 1. They are very much like Final Fantasy tactics. Vandal Hearts 2 has a little better graphics than 2 and is very much the same game as 1 except a different story of course so if you care about graphics at all I would suggest Vandal Hearts 2.

Krimsin 02-01-2011 12:25 PM

Ogre Battle 64

/thraed