Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Best solo tactic for a shaman? (/forums/showthread.php?t=333983)

Midoo 09-16-2019 03:07 PM

Best solo tactic for a shaman?

Trying to solo my way from 36 to 39 and I was wondering what the best tactic would be. People told me root rotting isn't viable anymore. I don't know what I'm doing. No fungi or any twink items but I have a few pre-planar bis items and 190 WIS.

Inb4 "just group/duo with a monk": I've been 36 for the last two months because I'm a sick altoholic and because I have no friends to play with and guildies are too busy.

loramin 09-16-2019 03:13 PM

I really don't believe there's one best way to play a Shaman.

For instance, root/rot is good when the mob deals a lot of damage, and doesn't summon. Pet tanking is good when you you can do more damage by medding and casting a DoT, while face tanking is better when you can do more damage with your melee weapon.

Really animal charming is the only Shaman style that's for a specific level range. The rest depend on your gear and what you're fighting.

ScottBerta 09-16-2019 03:45 PM

Root/ Rot or slow and face tank are your two options. If you could find a melee to duo with would be ideal.

skorge 09-16-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midoo (Post 2961941)
Trying to solo my way from 36 to 39 and I was wondering what the best tactic would be. People told me root rotting isn't viable anymore. I don't know what I'm doing. No fungi or any twink items but I have a few pre-planar bis items and 190 WIS.

Inb4 "just group/duo with a monk": I've been 36 for the last two months because I'm a sick altoholic and because I have no friends to play with and guildies are too busy.

You have your pet now. Be sure to quest for the shovel of ponz. Use this item to reclaim energy until you have your best con pet for your level.

Secondly, grab a Poison Wind Censor, Scourge Hammer of the Blight, Barbarian Spiritist's Hammer or Granite Face Grinder. GFG is the best out of all 3 and only costs 2.5k plat. PWC is only 300 plat range.

Pull mob with slow, sic pet in, buff yourself with haste and regen yourself...dot mob. Be sure to keep dex on yourself for more proc'ing. Do this until you get your epic.

HedleyKow 09-16-2019 05:06 PM

It really depends on your level, the mobs you're fighting, your gear, and personal preference. I would encourage you to try them out for yourself to see which you prefer and/or which is most efficient. That being said, if you have decent gear for your level, alternating between face tanking and pet tank would probably be best.

Personally, when I was leveling killing Faerie Dragons (the 4 on the east side) and then Goos in Wakening Lands I tried the following:

1) Face Tanking (At lower levels this is what I mostly did when soloing, but I found it was no longer effective. The melee damage I dealt wasn't worth the amount of damage I took.)
2) Pet Tanking (I found was also no longer effective. Pet was too squishy.)
3) Enstill > Epic dot > disease dot > poison dot > med/canni (I didn't see any point to this method if you have JBB. If you're gonna go this route I'd do multiple targets at once.)
4) Enstill > Epic dot > poison dot > JBB spam (Kills fast, but had to canni while waiting on spawns)
5) Enstill > Epic dot > JBB spam (extremely mana efficient and can pretty much kill continuously without stopping, but kills somewhat slowly)
6) Enstill > Epic dot > poison dot > JBB spam, but weaving Canni in between each JBB (A little more tedious, but kills faster than 5 and doesn't have downtime canni spamming like 4. Probably the most efficient method for killing one at a time.)
7) Number 3, but with multiple targets. (I found this method rather tedious, so I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to be pretty efficient.)

When I'm killing higher level things I found malo to be rather useful; but for FDs and Goos I didn't find it was worth the extra mana as having to canni it back in between spawn wasn't worth the effort. Also, I had a pet out to finish off runners(except when dotting multiples). For goos I would haste my pet as well to kill the little goos faster.

kjs86z 09-16-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midoo (Post 2961941)

Just do "/who all monk 33 39" if you're still 36...or use whatever level range you're comfy with.

That will give you all the monks online (that aren't anon/role). Send tells with a standard hello and see if they want to group for xp.

Warriors are also a good duo partner. Add a necro to this composition for an excellent, extremely capable trio! Heck, even ask a necro if they want to duo and go help them charm undead mobs (Kaesora is a good spot for that for your current level range, but may want to find necros that are a couple / few levels higher than you).

I find the duo / trio experience to be more enjoyable than solo. Its social without the inevitable slacking you find in full 6 person groups on the XP superhighway.

loramin 09-16-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HedleyKow (Post 2962007)
It really depends on your level, the mobs you're fighting, your gear, and personal preference. I would encourage you to try them out for yourself to see which you prefer and/or which is most efficient. That being said, if you have decent gear for your level, alternating between face tanking and pet tank would probably be best.

Personally, when I was leveling killing Faerie Dragons (the 4 on the east side) and then Goos in Wakening Lands I tried the following:

1) Face Tanking (At lower levels this is what I mostly did when soloing, but I found it was no longer effective. The melee damage I dealt wasn't worth the amount of damage I took.)
3) Enstill > Epic dot > disease dot > poison dot > med/canni (I didn't see any point to this method if you have JBB. If you're gonna go this route I'd do multiple targets at once.)
4) Enstill > Epic dot > poison dot > JBB spam (Kills fast, but had to canni while waiting on spawns)
5) Enstill > Epic dot > JBB spam (extremely mana efficient and can pretty much kill continuously without stopping, but kills somewhat slowly)
6) Enstill > Epic dot > poison dot > JBB spam, but weaving Canni in between each JBB (A little more tedious, but kills faster than 5 and doesn't have downtime canni spamming like 4. Probably the most efficient method for killing one at a time.)
7) Number 3, but with multiple targets. (I found this method rather tedious, so I haven't used it a lot, but it seems to be pretty efficient.)

When I'm killing higher level things I found malo to be rather useful; but for FDs and Goos I didn't find it was worth the extra mana as having to canni it back in between spawn wasn't worth the effort. Also, I had a pet out to finish off runners(except when dotting multiples). For goos I would haste my pet as well to kill the little goos faster.

This guy knows how to Shaman ... you experiment! :D

To add to #7 though: the real way to root/rot a bunch of mobs as a Shaman is to go pure epic. If the mob can be killed in 3-4 epics, like for instance the Seafury Cyclops in OOT, you can get away with only spending 100 mana on root to kill each mob. It will take forever (or at least 3-4 runs of your epic DoT), but you can kill 7+ mobs at a time that way.

Back before Seafuries were nerfed I had a lot of fun with this approach.

skorge 09-16-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HedleyKow (Post 2962007)

Dude is asking for 36-39 leveling...you can't even use the JBB until level 45 basically making the info you provided irrelevant to OP's question...lol sorry not trying to be a forum warrior but yeah...

skorge 09-16-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loramin (Post 2962013)
This guy knows how to Shaman ... you experiment! :D

To add to #7 though: the real way to root/rot a bunch of mobs as a Shaman is to go pure epic. If the mob can be killed in 3-4 epics, like for instance the Seafury Cyclops in OOT, you can get away with only spending 100 mana on root to kill each mob. It will take forever (or at least 3-4 runs of your epic DoT), but you can kill 7+ mobs at a time that way.

Back before Seafuries were nerfed I had a lot of fun with this approach.

Once again dude is asking for level 36-39 shaman leveling. Epic and JBB is not viable here.

Get a GFG, haste yourself, regen yourself, cast slow on mob, dot mob, use pet. /thread

HedleyKow 09-16-2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorge (Post 2962019)
Dude is asking for 36-39 leveling...you can't even use the JBB until level 45 basically making the info you provided irrelevant to OP's question...lol sorry not trying to be a forum warrior but yeah...

I did say that, depending on his gear, face tanking or pet tanking would likely be best at that level. The wall of text that followed was just an example of my trying out a bunch of different options on my shaman.