Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   When did Everquest start to really decline in quality of experience? (/forums/showthread.php?t=376338)

Forsh 01-14-2021 03:22 AM

When did Everquest start to really decline in quality of experience?

I played from 2000-2007 and I loved it so much I literally wrapped my life around my play. Raid nights with my guild were as important on my schedule as waking up and going to work or eating.

I left EverCrack during the Gates of Discord expansion because my career required all of my extra time but I didn't want to leave, I still had that addiction to log in and grind and make raids and so forth. As of this past year I've had all of my free time available where I could dedicate 24 hours a day if I wanted to into an MMORPG. I downloaded the free EverQuest install and logged in....I couldn't even get through the introductory quest because everything was so terrible. The interface was terrible, the quest itself was terrible, the "missions" and options looked like a low budget version of what World of Warcraft has....I just couldn't....it was so terrible and not even close to what EverCrack was.

My first experience in original EQ was logging in and being scared out of mind when an Orc Pawn started to own me while I was killing bats. He snuck up right behind me and I could never get away from him, he never stopped chasing me....I freaked out....and hooked from that point on....the game was exciting....it was fun being forced to make my way in the world with other people.

No matter how much excitement and passion I had ths year to devote my life to playing again it was impossible for me, this new EverQuest made me sick to my stomach. When did this game get so bad?

Prismaticshop 01-14-2021 03:30 AM

After planes of power

Swish 01-14-2021 03:38 AM

PoP was the the peak, I don't think they'd ever have been able to keep up with it.

silo32 01-14-2021 03:42 AM

After you could meditate on a epic mount and ldon. Also when they merged my baby dillon zek with rallos tallon vallon into ZEK

It died n I left

silo32 01-14-2021 03:42 AM

Sullon stupid rnf auto spell check fkkkk

Tunabros 01-14-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prismaticshop (Post 3244532)
After planes of power

Khikik 01-14-2021 03:55 AM

For me it was after Planes of power, because nothing was on "theme" aka all the lore after that just seemed to be come out of nowhere "just because"

Luclin was sort of weird expansion, but it had some lore tie ins with the Iksar and Ssra

And then Planes of power really doubled down on the whole everquest pantheon. I feel they did a very good job making each planar zone bring back the magic of zones like Plane of fear / hate etc. Seems to me after PoP they pretty much just gave up on the lore and story of the world and just started introducing new characters "just because"

Mesocyclone 01-14-2021 05:56 AM

Instancing ruined EQ and the ugly post Velious graphics

elwing 01-14-2021 06:17 AM

Sorry, pop had fancy raid and such but it made just 0 sense, world stopped to make sense after luclin

unleashedd 01-14-2021 07:11 AM

after POP it started to feel like a job, so POP was peak for me