Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your favorite single player RPG of all time (/forums/showthread.php?t=362267)

Baler 06-25-2020 08:59 PM

What is your favorite single player RPG of all time

Title,..

for me it's Dradon Quest 3 SNES, it has
equipment
character stats
re-rolling/perfecting
great storyline

WHAT is your favorite single play RPG game?
don't be shy, reply!

Kich867 06-25-2020 09:11 PM

Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals for the SNES

Pros:
- Funny, nice story
- Great turn based RPG combat system
- Unique "IP" system in which worn items had special effects that built up whenever you were hit (it was a bar below your HP and Mana, it went up as you get hit, items then spent some amount of your "IP" to use their effect. These ranged from spells you'd get throughout the game, to extremely unique effects)
- Unique pet system in which you feed your pet gear and it gains strength, evolves, grows larger.
- Built-in Rogue-like game that provided some of the best gear in the game, a fully randomized 99 floor dungeon in which you start out at level 1 with no gear and gear up as you go. Items found in "blue chests" can be taken out and taken back in later, so multiple runs get easier as you get better and better blue chest items.

Straight up, it's the standard I hold every RPG to.

A close second is Breath of Fire 2, their town building system and character modifications was super interesting.

loramin 06-25-2020 09:46 PM

That's a tough question, but for me possibly The Magic Candle on DOS. Final Fantasy (original on NES) might be second, and maybe Fallout 3 for third?

DMN 06-25-2020 10:04 PM

Baldur's gate 2.

Cecily 06-25-2020 10:07 PM

Shining Force

DMN 06-25-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 3149191)
Shining Force

You liked 1 more than 2? Strange.

Cecily 06-25-2020 10:44 PM

It's the same game. SFII doesn't have Tao.

<3 Tao
https://i.imgur.com/U48uBxI.gif

DMN 06-25-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 3149199)
Same game imo. I actually have a working genesis and SFII cartridge.

The major difference is that, although I've played II multiple times, which was an epic game, I can only remember the first game's battles and characters.

<3 Tao

Hmm. I don't know about that. SF2 had way more characters and options/game impacting decisions. It also had a much bigger world you could actually actively explore instead of SF1 where you just move from scenario to scenario entirely on rails. I'd say it's comprehensively better than 1. The only slight knock on it for me is how early you get the bird dude and how brokenly powerful he is. I remember I used to intentionally leave him in his first form/class/job but I can't remember why.

Tethler 06-25-2020 10:49 PM

P99 red server.

jk, real answer is difficult. Chrono Trigger and Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past are nostalgia favorites, but I haven't played them in so long, I'm not sure how they would match up to more modern games.

Even though it was full of bugs, I spent a stupid amount of time in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Dogma 06-25-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecily (Post 3149208)
It's the same game. SFII doesn't have Tao.

<3 Tao

I can hear that gif. Also agree that 1 was better than 2.