Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Hunting Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=335350)

Jimjam 10-04-2019 02:50 AM

The Hunting Thread

I'd love to learn more about hunting!

What do you hunt, where do you hunt, what do you do with the prey?

What equipment do you use? How do permits work and how do you acquire them?

What times of year can/do you hunt? How long does an exhibition last? Do you travl far and where do you stay?

Canelek 10-04-2019 03:13 AM

From my experience, it is cold, early and generally miserable. Modern clothing makes it more fashionable.

Actually, it is quite the experience. A hunt will vary, depending on the where, when and what, but it is always interesting. A pheasant hunt varies wildly from a quail, dove, chukkar or duck hunt. Blacktail and whitetail deer vary due to region and animal behaviour. Elf and dwarf are just weird.

But, you get used to the killing. It grows on you like a suit. A warm suit.

Baler 10-04-2019 07:14 AM

Spring and Fall turkey, 12 gauge bird shot. Sit on the ground by a tree and call them in.
Deer bow, muzzle, shotgun. (no rifle) Climber stand so I can hunt anywhere.

Havn't been rabbit hunting in ages.

I hunt for meat and I try not to over harvest. Giving smaller animals time to age, why shoot that 4 point when you can harvest a 6 or 8 point next season.

Mblake81 10-04-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2975991)
I'd love to learn more about hunting!

What do you hunt, where do you hunt, what do you do with the prey?

What equipment do you use? How do permits work and how do you acquire them?

What times of year can/do you hunt? How long does an exhibition last? Do you travl far and where do you stay?

Hunted deer in my youth with my step father. Rifle, shotgun, bow, crossbow, pistol etc. Various members of my extended family were all into hunting. South Carolina rural countryside. Deep woods are all around, some are open to the public during hunting season (specific animals during specific times) and some land is private, which you would need to form a relationship with the landowner and have his permission.

Equipment varies. There are many methods. What I did with my stepfather was use a tree stand, its a chair and floor piece that has blades that will bite into a tree. It lets you climb to a good height to get a decent view. Deer are very sensitive to movement and scent. We even washed ourselves with scentless odor blocker soaps before heading out at 4 am. You want to be in your spot before dawn. You field dress the prey and take it to a butcher. During hunting season local meat cutters earn extra cash. You then store and eat the meats.

South Carolina Hunting and Fishing Licenses information

Deer hunting is usually fall-winter. Rutting season (mating season). Different animals are at different times.

Don't fuck with Game Wardens.

Traveling varies on what you are hunting and where you would like to hunt/where you can hunt. For example I grew up on 9 acres in the middle of nowhere, behind our property ran a long stretch of land owned by Duke Power. Dense woods, a large river, a pond and a power station (you can hear the electricity running through the lines). We would hunt in there sometimes as well as fish. We had a small boat for the pond. But we also traveled to other places where we could or had permission to. Some guys have a hunting cabin deep in the woods and make a weekend out of it. This is just my experiences, there are many different ways to do it.

*Note: one political thing. The hunter excuse for gun ownership is nonsense. As an American I don't require a reason or an excuse to own them. Nothing else to say. I am still waiting on my legal fully automatic M-60 that requires no gun dealer license and a small dump truck full of armor piercing 7.62mm. Just because..

Patriam1066 10-04-2019 09:04 AM

Hunt deer with a bow with the rednecks and my older son. My Salvadoran daughter in law has expressed interest. Must be the Mayan blood

Also hunt duck quail and dove depending on the year.

BallzDeep 10-04-2019 12:16 PM

I hunt dove, deer, hog, coyote, and turkey. I live in Austin, Texas but we travel about an hour outside. My buddy and I own a plot of land of around 200 acres.

You can bait here in Texas. We set up feeders year around and let them run to pull in the deer. Hunting season started next month for rifle and started last week for bow. For hog, it is basically to promote deer health and population and to stop them from destroying your land. They breed at an insane pace so you want to eliminate as many as possible. You can use the meat for stew or something if you don't mind something a little more tough. On the deer, we use everything. Keep the skull, use the bones for dog treats, pelt for a blanket or something similar and meat to last you year long and give to friends. Nothing better than showing up to a football game with some jalapeno deer sausage.

You can obtain the permits from pretty much and local sporting good store or online through your state wildlife org. Most seasons are around 2-3 months.

Jimjam 10-04-2019 12:26 PM

Thank you guys for opening my eyes and mind to something outside of my own experiences. The internet is a wonderful place!

Do any of you butcher your own kills or do you all have a guy for that?

Do you sell any of the carcass, if not how do you store it?

Any part of the animals that aren't used - what happens to them?

Mblake81 10-04-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2976258)
Thank you guys for opening my eyes and mind to something outside of my own experiences. The internet is a wonderful place!

There were several little places, some advertised and some by word of mouth. Never sold any meats. The internal organs are dressed in the field to keep the meat from spoiling. After the butcher the parts will be cut how you request and wrapped. You then store them in a freezer.

Baler 10-04-2019 05:25 PM

I have a guy for $60 he will butcher my deer and make nice clean cuts or ground/hotdogs.
Venison cheese hotdogs are so good.

Turkey I do myself. I try to save as much as possible. Most of the feathers get messed up. I pluck it in the field. Stuff like the liver and heart are totally worth saving. Wild turkey taste way better than farm raised in my opinion.

I also fish. when im not shitposting.

BallzDeep 10-04-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimjam (Post 2976258)

We field dress ourselves. I'm not the best at it to be honest but can do it. Typically you want to field dress yourselves just to make sure no bacteria from the wound is in meat. The longer it sits, the worse. If you can load it up fast enough and you have a meat processor that is close by, you can drop it off but they will charge you more.

You can get the skulls acid washed or they use some crazy bug that eats the flesh clean and you can sell the skull or pelts. You can also sell them stuffed but the real profit is from the meat itself. If you like to eat actual free range meat and have meat for a good 6 months, if you eat it pretty often.

Anything left over is left out for mother nature to takes its course. Coyotes or some other animal will eat the guts, and pick clean til there is pretty much nothing left but the bones. Any animal you shoot down, will automatically become food for another animal.