Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Rants and Flames (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What books have made you cry? (/forums/showthread.php?t=390715)

pink grapefruit 08-28-2021 07:30 PM

What books have made you cry?

Being an adult kinda sucks lol. My irl social friend group right now consists of four people who meet every other friday (or so) bc we all have different job/school/life responsibilities. It's a book club with an open bar, basically. My goal with my book choices is to try to get everyone to cry bc that's just the sorta person I am :P

So I need some good ideas for books!

Incomplete (I'm just sure of it) list of books that have made me cry:
Harry Potter 7 (the part where Hermione, Ron, and Harry go to talk to Luna's dad and they find the mural she painted of them)
Probably other Harry Potter books but I don't remember which ones or why
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Stranger in a Strange Land
Tuesdays with Morrie
The Little Prince
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Diamond Age

I have The Fault in Our Stars on my to read list.

pink grapefruit 08-28-2021 07:32 PM

oh i meant to post this in off topic :O

arvidez 08-28-2021 07:42 PM

la linea: a novel. the subject has been abused in the media, but the reality is as poignant as ever. youll cry

alphys 08-28-2021 08:11 PM

Atlas shrugged made me cry during the monologue.
Fountainhead made me cry SORRY PETER
Anthem made me cry that it ended so soon
The Road ended way too early again.

I just really dislike ending books, I want to be at that middle 60% forever

pink grapefruit 08-28-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvidez (Post 3353161)
la linea: a novel. the subject has been abused in the media, but the reality is as poignant as ever. youll cry

Yeah this one looks like a heartbreaker :'(

thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphys (Post 3353166)
Atlas shrugged made me cry during the monologue.
Fountainhead made me cry SORRY PETER
Anthem made me cry that it ended so soon
The Road ended way too early again.

I just really dislike ending books, I want to be at that middle 60% forever

The Road has actually been recommended to me before so I should probably check it out! And I have never read any Rand so maybe it's time lol.

thanks! <3

alphys 08-28-2021 08:58 PM

Ayn Rand is a fantastic story teller and you don't even need to prescribe to objectivism. I would go
1. Anthem 110pg or so
2. Fountainhead 900ish
3. Shrugged big boi

Also, ASOFAI was given to me, and I read up to Dance with Dragons in two weeks. Its been like ten years since then. I really dislike slow writers now. They are fun books to read very slowly though, as descriptive as tolkien +3 when describing food.

The Road can be skipped surmised as the Movie doesn't miss anything but two small scenes.

I also recommend older style kindle and pirate them books, all information is free

pink grapefruit 08-28-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphys (Post 3353190)
Ayn Rand is a fantastic story teller and you don't even need to prescribe to objectivism. I would go
1. Anthem 110pg or so
2. Fountainhead 900ish
3. Shrugged big boi

Also, ASOFAI was given to me, and I read up to Dance with Dragons in two weeks. Its been like ten years since then. I really dislike slow writers now. They are fun books to read very slowly though, as descriptive as tolkien +3 when describing food.

The Road can be skipped surmised as the Movie doesn't miss anything but two small scenes.

I also recommend older style kindle and pirate them books, all information is free

Yes. I'm not opposed to reading Rand at all, just never got around to it. ASOIAF is straight gut-wrenching at times lol.

myrddraal 08-28-2021 10:05 PM

If you want to cry just watch that cutscene in tears of war 2 where dom has to put down his wife and goes berserk.

Also read Berserk.

myrddraal 08-28-2021 10:06 PM

Gears of war 2, not tears. Damn you rnf no edits!

alphys 08-28-2021 11:11 PM

This mine cart...
Hanks
Christ, he's crying again. What set him off this time?!

Marcus goes into a flashback. It shows that many years ago mine carts came to his homeland and murdered his family in cold blood. The flashback ends and Marcus stares into empty space.Anderson
Come on Marcus, snap out of it. We're here for you.
Hanks (laughing)
Maybe you should suck his dick Anderson. Come on you crybaby queer, get in the fucking mine cart!

Suddenly the Locust appear and kill Anderson and Hanks. Marcus snaps out of his trance and jumps into the mine cart. With tears streaming down his face he makes his escape.Marcus
This world is so corrupt...With that Marcus attempts to slit his wrists with the chainsaw thingy on his gun. Cue Gary Jules - Mad World.
Fade out.